Here We Stand Or Here We Fall

Madison sits on the top of the bus, watching the sunset, in complete awe

Madison sits on the top of the bus, watching the sunset, in complete awe. Steve climbed up the ladder.

"Wow"

"It's beautiful, isn't it?"

Steve nods. "Yeah"

"Just like home,"

"You really miss California, don't you?" He asked.

"Of course, I do,"

"Why did you move here? " Steve questioned

"You think I had a choice. It was my parent's decision." I really didn't want to leave, San Diego was perfect until my stepdad and his son came along"

"Divorced?"

"My dad lives in a small apartment in LA. I probably will move out of here by the time I graduate." Life here isn't any better,"

" Yeah tell me about it,"Steve said sarcastically

Madison let out a slight chuckle

"I'm not talking about Dart, I'm talking about Billy. He's been angry, I don't care if he lashes out on me, but Max- that where I cross the line."

She started to sigh " I'm sorry I don't know why I'm telling you this"

" No,No it's ok"

He put his hand on her shoulder, silently telling her Hey I'm here for you, you can talk to me. "It's ok"

The two stayed like this as the sun went down.

A few minutes later...

It is nighttime now, Steve and Madison already climbed down the ladder leaving Lucas on the lookout. He sat down on a chair, flicking the lighter on and off.

"So, you guys fought one of these before?"

Steve nods at Max. She is sat down with her arms crossed. "And you're like totally 100% it wasn't a bear or something?"

"Shit. Don't be an idiot. Okay? It wasn't a bear. Why are you even here if you don't believe us? Just go home."

Max started climbing up the ladder. "Jeez Someone's cranky. Past your bedtime."

The two teens made eye contact for a second.

"That's good, just show her you don't care," Steve told him

Madison's attention drifts to him. Her eyes are narrowed.

"Are you serious right now?"

"I don't," Dustin said quietly.

He stopped pacing and made eye contact.

"Why are you winking, Steve, Stop."

" Stop It"Madison whispered