The Basketball Game

The two held hands as they walked to the school

The two held hands as they walked to the school. There's no more problems , just the two of them. Madison never cared much for basketball, if anything it was just a game where you throw a ball into a hoop and you win. But she promised Lucas, and doesn't want to break it.

Airhorns blow loudly as the crowd cheers. The band is playing, and Robin is next to her crush again. Lucas comes out and Madison waves to him slightly smiling. "Does it bother you that, like, we might win a championship right after you graduated?"

"Yeah, that's an interesting point. Thank you so much for bringing that up, Maddie."

The band stops playing.

"Everyone now please rise for our national anthem. Singing for us tonight, we have a very special guest. From Nashville, our very own Tammy Thompson!"

The crowd cheers.

Steve's jaw drops as Robin turned her head matching his expression. Meanwhile, Madison is trying not to laugh

"Go, Tammy!"

"We love you, Tammy!"

♪ O say, can you see? By the dawn's early light... ♪

"Told you, Muppet," Steve whispered.

Madison covered her mouth, letting out a slight chuckle. She looked at Robin who is talking to Vickie. Madison nudged her boyfriend with a smirk

♪ ...ramparts we watched ♪

"Wow. She sounds amazing, doesn't she?" A lady said in their row.

The young couple nodded awkwardly. The opposing team bumped into one of the team members, making them injured. The crowd boos as the referee blows the whistle. Lucas gets in the field despite being benched and passes the ball, so Jason makes the shot, and the crowd goes wild. After a few tries, the ball almost got in but doesn't.

"Defense! Defense!"

The opposing team member makes the shot.

"Shoot it!"

The crowd starts to cheer again.

The game started to get intense. The couch called Time Out. The band starts to play while the team discusses. Jason runs and grabs the ball but misses. This allowed Lucas to shoot the ball. The crowd stood up in anticipation as the ball slowly entered the hoop. He made it, He made the shot.

The crowd jumped up and down, as the basket ball team lifts Lucas up in celebration.  This were times where Madison felt genuinely happy.

"He did it."

"WOOOO, GO LUCAS," She cheered loudly

As the game ended, Madison approached Lucas, and he gave her a hug.

"Thank you"

Madison had a huge smile on her face, "Any time. You did great by the way,"

"How's Max? She didn't come, well most of people I asked didn't go, except you."

"I don't know , she's probably listening to the game at home." Madison reassured

Just then, one of the basketball players pulled Lucas away from her.

——————————————————————————

And her sister was right, Max is listening to the game at home

" After a tragic year for our town. The Tigers have brought home the conference title. For the first time in 22 years."

"And what a great game it was, Allen, ending with a dramatic buzzer-beater from benchwarmer Lucas Sinclair. He must be feeling on top of the world right--

Max turned off the radio; the room is complete silence. She sits on her bed, all alone and sad. The dog starts barking in the distance. She lets out a sigh

"All right , All right, I hear you"

She gets up and goes to living room, where her mom lays there, drunk. There is beer bottles on the floor and the TV plays faintly

"This is your old friend Billy speaking"

Max felt her heart drop, just being reminded of him and how he's no longer with them anymore. Ever since that day, everything has been a total disaster. And everyone thinks it was a mall fire, when it wasn't, it wasn't at all. She can't tell them how he sacrificed himself to the Mind Flayer. Max sometimes wonders why her sister put her arm in front of her, it wasn't her fault but that guilt still lives inside. That maybe things could have different.

"I'm trying to be normal, Billy."

For a while she tried to be, but couldn't anymore she just disappeared from everyone even her own sister. Max sighed and knelt down to grab the bottles on the floor. The dog continued to bark,

" I'm coming. I'm coming"

Max went outside to feed the neighbors dog.A car approached late at night, blaring loud music. As the music stopped Two people came out of the car, It is Eddie and Chrissy. She watched on suspiciously.
Madison opened the door to the trailer house, the happiness she once felt, fading.

There are still beer bottles on the floor. She kneels down and picks them up. Max entered the house and sat down with her hand on her head. The Tv started to glitch.

"What's wrong with the TV?"

She just shrugged.

Max tried to fix the tv by moving the antennas.

"Let me try."

Madison smacked the TV. The lights started to flicker and the two froze sharing scared yet confused faces. Looking out the window, Eddie ran out of the trailer, but Chrissy wasn't there. Madison started to hear a loud ringing noise in her ear causing a painful migraine. She grabs her bag, pulls out an ibuprofen and turns on the sink.

" Maddie?"

" Yeah?"

Max points to her face. "Your nose"

Madison put her finger right by the edge of her nose, just to find blood.

A/N: Yeah I decided to show a bit more of Maxs perspective. And it was obviously inspired by Dear Billy. Anyway see you on Sunday because Finals are coming up :')