Eleven

"You're sure it's set to the right temperature?" I laughed, turning my head back to Jamie who was looking into the hot oven, door open. "I don't want you sabotaging my cake."

"You're letting the heat out but yeah, there's a thermostat on the left. Box says 220." The door closed and I laughed, watching him stand up before I turned back to making my sugar flowers. His hand sat on the table beside me on one side, Jamie watching me on the other. "Want to have a go?"

"I feel like I'd do this wrong."

"No, you won't, it's easier than it looks. Grab a chair." He pulled up his chair, sitting down beside me until out knees were touching comfortably. "Okay, grab one of the green stem sticks. No. Not the, yeah those ones. Here." I handed him the right amount of sugar paste, pushing it onto the end of his stick. "Try to copy the shape of this one. Just make it smooth and then use this little doodad to add the lines and voila."

"That has to be the worst explanation anyone has ever given."

"Did you understand it?"

"Yeah."

"Then it's not a bad description is it?" I looked around. "Did you set a timer for your cake?"

"Shit. No." I chuckled as he pulled out his phone, setting an alarm for what I knew would be too long.

"Are you 100% sure that's the right time on the box?"

"Yes."

"100%?" He looked at me, turning my stool as I laughed, moving me back to the flowers.

"I am the master chef here Aurora. I know how to bake a cake."

"Mhm. I'll remember that when it comes out burned."

"Is it too long?"

"I thought you were the master chef?" I slipped another petal onto the larger flower I was currently working on.

"I am."

"Then surely you'd know if it was too long or not? Also, be aware that I'm not going easy on this judging. I have very very high standards for my baked goods."

"Is being a good baker a requirement for dating you?"

"Not necessarily. It is if you're cocky about it though and long term I'd love to be with someone who could help me on an evening making everything." He nodded, furrowing his eyebrows as he focused on making the little bud. The very tip of his tongue sat poking out of the corner of his mouth and I chuckled.

"What? Am I doing it wrong?"

"No, you're actually doing great."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I'd be happy putting that one on a cake, no doubt."

"Told you, master chef." He shifted in his seat, so proud of himself and I couldn't do anything but laugh at him. He had the funniest personality, that I'd known beforehand. I knew that from school.

"Rory?"

"Yeah." I looked up, Penny popping her head around the door to the front of shop.

"Sorry, I know you're busy but-" I put my flower into the stand and stood up. Wiping my hands on my apron I moved over to her. "Griffin Taylor's here." She whispered and I could see her face bright red. "He said he wanted you." I nodded, rolling my eyes at her with a smile.

"Hey Jamie, will you be alright a few minutes? I just need to pop into the front. Keep going if you want, all the stuffs there." He nodded and I turned back to Penny, stepping out of the door. "Just for reference Pen, if he comes back, he doesn't get special treatment or anything. If he needs me, don't use his name just say 'some guy'."