One. photo memories

There are moments in our lives that are cause for celebration, birthdays for in such case of point. Bella was turning eighteen, and I had everything structured; planned. Months before she would finally become the age of an adult.

Here I am, standing and holding an inflated number eighteen balloon in one hand, then a heart framed pendant boxed and encased. ready for gifting.

I couldn't begin to believe bella was the first, out of us two, to turn an important milestone age. It was no secret she despised aging. Certitude in actuality her fears of growing old in the natural way a human should, having the privilege given to her at birth.

More the less she was vocal on the occasional days, she wants anything but to stay young. in dismay of the years affecting her but not me, forever youthful; my length of life not moving. how she would die before I could.

Charlie turns the door knob to Bella's bed room, both coordinated gifts he partnered with Renee in, were balance in his free hand. " happy birthday, Bee." I pulled the rope of the streamer, I had planned using, and colourful shredded paper comes out. She ducks her head, dodging the Remanences, giving a puff of laughter. Charlie scowls, but could definitely see it was playful.

" yes, before I was interrupted kindly by Malachi, happy birthday. Honey."

A copy of Romeo and Juliet lay sprawled on Bella's pillow, open, the pages creased and one corner bend to mark the chapter she was reading. " I thought we agreed, this especially to you Kai, no presents. you know how I feel of these Occasions." I let the words go in one ear then out the second, ignoring her complaint. I was not allowing her to spend an important date, such as this, with no presents.

" well, for one. The first that isn't wrapped, is from me, so it doesn't count."

It was a latest edition and version of a digital camera, pink, a matching coloured bow sticky taped on the lens. " this is actually great. thanks, dad."

The smile never leaves, when she aims and captures a photo of myself, grinning. " my first photo in my new camera."

" it goes hand in hand with one from your mom. We coordinated. Well, she coordinated me." Bella places down the camera, now opening the second thin wrapped gift showing a yellow checkered scrapbook. " it is to put pictures in from senior year. How did you get so old fast?".

I knew how Bella reacted to 'old' set off a trigger. she is quick to say " I didn't. It's not that old, dad. Malachi and I are the same age, only difference is I am three months and two weeks older."

there was a glint of apprehension; anxiety, behind her eyes, that the human cannot perceive but I could detect. " I don't know is that a grey hair I spot." Charlie fuels his light hearted banter, taking one hair follicle in his fingers.

Bella gets off and out of her bed, I had to hold in a chuckle when she stands before the body length one way mirror. Searching for greying hairs. " that is very funny dad, really funny." He does a surrender motion. " Happy birthday. I will leave you to open your gift that Malachi has, for you. I know his is very sentimental." I mentally thank Charlie for leaving, bringing the door to close and give us privacy.

" Now. I know you are not the materialistic girl, so on. But I was careful to think about and choose this specific, for this reason." I pass over the plain white linen box, grey ribbon circling each sides. Bella gives a light shake, wanting to know the contents before opening. Her eyes become tender, full of positive emotion, revealing a sterling silver brass locket necklace. " have a look at what is inside, bee."

Her fingernails open the two sided pendant, a soft gasp of breath leaving. a photograph of her and me, embracing at my sixteenth birthday celebration mom captured.