Criminal or Victim

Ethan

"What is it, Ethan? Talk to us, please. We can't see you like this," Mama pleaded as I grabbed another glass of brandy.

"Stop it, Ethan, and answer to us," dad said as he held my hand and took the glass away from me.

I huffed and walked away to my room, slamming the door shut.

It had been three months since I had divorced that woman. It had been three months since that woman had mocked me and broke me completely.

For the first couple of days, I hadn't been in my senses at all. After I came back to Athens and told Mama and dad everything, I had left again and had traveled around for some time. But, no matter where I was, it was impossible to stay sober for me. All I did was drink and slog all day. Dad had taken over the business and was managing everything for quite some time until I was back on my feet.

After about a month or so, I finally managed to pull myself out of the bed and had gone back to work. Once I had dissolved myself in work, it was easier to pass through the day without facing the memories. But, it was simply impossible to block them at night. Thus, I continued to drink myself to sleep.

I was about to do the same tonight, but my parents just wouldn't leave me alone.

"What is it?" I asked both of them as they opened the door and entered the room.

"What is going on with you? It has been three months now, Ethan, for heaven's sake. All you have been doing since you came back from Italy is work and drink. You don't call us anymore and don't even pick up when we do. You have not stepped outside the house even once. You hardly meet anyone, and when you do, it is all for business. You are living inside this stinking apartment like a recluse. What the hell is wrong with you?" Mama asked as she sat on the bed.

"I am not living like a recluse. I am busy. I have a lot of work," I told them.

"You don't have work, Ethan. You just choose to do all the work you can do. We both know that you are just avoiding everyone and especially us because you don't want to face the discussion," Dad narrowed his eyes at me.

"Please, don't do it," I told them upfront.

"No, Ethan. We have to talk about it," Mama said.

"Yes, son. We know that you and Ophelia have...." dad looked at me with caution as I clenched my fist tighter at the name of that woman.

"Cut the chase, Jamie. Ethan, your dad wants to say that we all know that you think that Ophelia has fooled you and you both are now divorced, but we want you to talk to her one more time," mama said it in one go.

"Really? Are you both serious? You want me to talk to her? Don't you remember what I had told you both three months ago?" I scoffed, not able to believe that they were trying to convince me.

"Yes, we remember it very well. We perfectly remember how you came home that day, announced that you both are getting divorced and that she is a gang leader, and she had drugged you in Vegas just for passing time. You literally left the minute you finished without giving us a chance to talk to you, and you have been avoiding us since. Ethan, you may have accepted what she said to you, but we are not able to accept it. It feels really wrong," dad told me.

"Then, why don't you go and ask her all these questions you have instead? Because I am not interested, and she will definitely make you believe it," I rebuffed them.