Stay or Leave

Ethan

"Go back?! What do you mean go back?" I asked her in shock.

"I...have some work there," she told me.

"Can't it wait for a few days? Why does it have to be tomorrow?" I asked her again in worry.

"It is urgent," she shrugged and bit her lip.

"But, this is so unprofessional! How can they just inform you today and expect you to leave tomorrow?"

"It isn't like that exactly. I..I have known it for three days now," she said, looking away.

"Three days?!" I yelled in shock, "And you are telling me now?!"

"I didn't want to spoil today for us. I..I wish I could postpone it, but I...have to. It is important," she told me sadly.

Damn it. Why does she have to go tomorrow? I thought I had four months still, and now this! I don't know what to do.

"How long is it? How long will you be gone for?" I asked her urgently.

"T.. two weeks," she gulped.

Two weeks?! How will I go for two weeks without her?

"Fine, let's go together," I told her.

"What? No," she refused profusely.

"Why not?" I frowned.

"Because... there is no need for you to worry. It is..it is just a few weeks. And don't you have work here too?" she asked me.

I frowned. I did have some really important meetings and deals lined up.

Damn these meetings!

"Do hell with them," I told her.

"No, Ethan. Work is important and it..it is just some... sometime. You don't have to go with me," she chuckled nervously.

"You'll come back to Seattle, right?" I asked her with a frown.

She looked at me in the eyes with surprise and said, "I..."

"I what, Ophelia? You have to come back. Promise me you will come back," I told her sternly, holding her by her arms.

She smiled, "I promise I will come back to Seattle."

I shook my head, "No, I don't believe it. You don't keep your promises well. I am not letting you go. I...I can't."

She cupped my face and made me look at her, "Ethan, I promise I will come back to Seattle if you want me to."

She dipped my head down and tiptoed a little and placed a deep kiss on my lips, sealing the deal with it.

Once she broke the kiss, I took a deep breath and calmed myself down.

It is just two weeks, Ethan. Don't think so much. You also have to go on trips for business, don't you? Wasn't Seattle a business trip too?

"Fine, you can go," I nodded at her and smiled.

She looked at me intendedly for a couple of seconds and then smiled back, "Thanks, I guess."

"How are you going, though? Do you want to take the jet?" I asked her.

"No, I...uh...I have already booked the tickets. I'll leave tomorrow morning at five cause my flight it at seven," she told me.

I looked at my watch and saw that it was nine already and I had just had eight more hours with her.

"By the way, I am sorry. I just recalled that you wanted to say something," she asked me with a frown.