Love or Obsession

Ethan

How can they be like this? How can they joke about it like this? How can they act so normal about everything? How can they behave as if they have not lost twelve years of their life? How can they just tease each other about dating other people after all of this?

This is so absurd!

"Hey, is everything alright?" I heard Ophelia ask and turned around to look at her.

"Yes, all's good," I gritted.

"Then, why did you just dash here like this?

"Then, what do you want me to do? Stay there and watch my parents make out? Because that's the only thing left," I snapped.

"Ethan, why are you acting like this?" she asked me, "Aren't you happy that they are finally back together?"

"Back together? Until when Ophelia? Until something else happens and they find themselves at crossroads again? One misunderstanding and they left each other for twelve years. Where was their love then? Everything is good now but, what if someone else comes in tomorrow and say something else about either of them? Is it still going to be the same?" I told her angrily.

"Ethan Welsh, you are the only human in this universe who would be angry to see his parents back together! You are just impossible!" she yelled angrily.

"No, Ophelia. I am not impossible but, I am unable to understand how can they even do this? How could have dad not tried to talk to her? How could have mama not trusted him? Why did she not tell him that time? If she would have said something, if dad would have said something, things would have been so different. We would have never broken up in the first place. I would have never lost my belief in relations. I could have met people, I could have dated, I could have found love already, Ophelia. They should have talked to each other instead of jumping to conclusions," I told her angrily.

She clenched her jaw together and said, "In that case you are equally at fault too, Ethan. You could have said something too. You jumped to conclusions just like them. Everything you did and happened to you is because you didn't ask them. You chose to believe the wrong just like them and you can not blame them for it. Didn't you hear what Rose said? Your mom tried to keep her trust intact but, she was not mentally stable, Ethan. Your dad wanted to come back but, he was stuck in his problems. They tried, Ethan. But, they failed."

I scoffed, "Fine! I get your point. But, they are doing the same even now, Ophelia. How can it be so easy for them to just move on? They didn't even trust each other until today morning and now, they are all into each other. How can they just jump like that? How can dad just forgive her for not trusting him and how can mom just forgive dad for accusing her about Sean? How can they behave as if they did not lose twelve years of their lives?" I asked in frustration.

"Because that is what love does, Ethan. They don't need words to communicate. They understood each other and their situations because no one knows them better than them. You can't change the past but, now that they are together, it's enough. Love makes you do stupid things," she said with a shrug.

"Really, Ophelia? That's your explanation? It is love? Let me remind you, Ophelia, that your so called love is what made Rose do this. Love is what made her break this family and you still expect me to believe in love. If everything in love is justified than what she did should also be justified," I told her angrily.

"She did not do it in love, Ethan. She did it in obsession. There is a huge difference. Love makes you want to keep the other person happy and obsession makes you want to have the other person for your happiness. When you are really in love, it doesn't push you to hurt that person, it pushes you to be a better person. You can be obsessed in love but, you can't be in love if you are obsessed," she told me angrily.