Beautiful or Bullshit

Ophelia

"It's saturday night, Ophy. Let's go,"whined Taylor for the hundredth time.

"First, do not call me Ophy. Ever. My name is Ophelia. Second, I would have been in on any other day but, I am busy and I am not going to a party with you leaving my work aside just because it is Saturday", I told her.

"You can do it later," she complained.

"The launch is next week, Taylor! You should be worried too, "I told her.

"I am more worried about my love life, amica mia. We are in Venice! This city is meant for romance. Don't you want to hook up with someone and then hope for a possibility of love?" she told me exasperatedly.

I laughed and said, "We are in Venice on a business trip, and I go to bars just for drinking and dancing. Hooking up with some random guy in a bar isn't the way I want to find love."

Taylor scoffed, "Then, how are you going to do it? By sitting in here all day and just hoping that one fine day a man will stumble into your apartment?"

I laughed harder, "Well, if one fine day, a man happens to stumble into my apartment, I will call the police rather than hoping for a love story to begin."

"I am serious, Ophelia." Taylor looked at me angrily.

"What do you want me to say, Taylor?" I laughed.

"We are Italians, girl. We grew up in a country where they wrote Romeo and Juliet. The entire world loves that tragic romance. This country is known for two things, romance and food. Do you not want to do all those things in the movies? Walk hand in hand? Dance in the rain? Kiss until you are out of your breath? Make love until morning? Do you not want to have someone to miss you every day? Do you never want to fall in crazy, stupid love?" she asked me.

"Taylor, for me, love is affection, passion, dedication, and devotion. It is that bond that doesn't let you apart even if you try to run away to the other end of the world. It is beyond the attraction, hooking up, sex, wealth, and power. Love is beyond the materialistic world. Love is beautiful. It is that spark that drives you to want to live together and die together. It liberates you and yet engulfs you into itself. It is unconditional and yet has only one condition, that is, the want for the other to be happy. The only definition of true love is that it is undefined. It is unexplainable. Love is just love. Love is everything," I explained to her with a smile.

"You make me want to have that," she said with a puppy dog face, making me chuckle.

"I want it too, and I don't think going to a bar on a saturday night and hooking up with random strangers will help me find it," I laughed at her.

"Then, how? By sitting in the sun and waiting?" she asked with disbelief.

"It is not like you, and I have not had a single boyfriend in all these years, right? They were just not the right ones. Hopefully, one day soon, we will find the right guys, "I shrugged.

"And when will that one day come? When I am in my greys?" she huffed.

"Well, you know what they say, right? When you can't find a way, destiny does it for you, "I winked at her.

"Well, destiny is really slow then because we are already twenty five", Taylor rolled her eyes, making me laugh.

"Patience, amica mia, patience," I shook my head at her.

"So, about tonight, I am thinking....."

And, I groaned as Taylor continued.

Ethan