Aftermath

If you want to read future chapters or simply support me, please check out my Patreon. Every single fanfic and chapter will eventually be available there. However, if you don't want to wait or simply wish to show your support, please give it a visit! Link is in the synopsis and below:

[patreon.com/Eros_Lord]

—————————————————————————

"REIJIIIIII!!!"

Time itself seemed to slow down as Hajime watched Reiji plummet into the depths of the earth, his eyes filled with despair. The moments they had shared during their training in the kingdom were some of the most cherished memories of his life.

Despite not knowing much about Reiji personally or the extent of his abilities, Hajime regarded him as a friend, a brother, and someone he could wholeheartedly trust. Reiji, without any obligation or necessity, had chosen to train and support Hajime, a gesture that filled him with eternal gratitude.

Despite Reiji's typically cold and blunt demeanor, he had never belittled Hajime or mocked his struggles. Instead, he offered valuable advice and guidance, helping Hajime find solutions to his issues and problems.

But what struck Hajime the most were the moments they had shared within the treacherous Labyrinth. Reiji had consistently been his guardian, watching over him and safeguarding his back. Even in the midst of perilous battles, Reiji would offer valuable insights and tips to enhance Hajime's combat prowess.

However, it was the pivotal moment when Reiji selflessly handed him the mana pill, the very lifeline he needed to protect himself in that very last moment.

"HAAAAAAAAA!!!"

Hajime's anguished cry pierced through the air as he witnessed the devastating turn of events. Overwhelmed by a surge of emotions—anger, frustration, and profound sadness—he pounded the ground repeatedly with clenched fists. Each punch was a release of pent-up despair and a desperate attempt to vent his overwhelming feelings.

Tears streamed down his face as he poured his heartache into the earth beneath him. Seeing Hajime's torment, Kaori rushed to his side, her tears mingling with his. She enveloped him in a tight embrace, providing solace and support in this moment of deep sorrow.

"Sorry, Nagumo-kun," Kaori whispered through her tears, her voice filled with genuine remorse. She held him tighter as if trying to shield him from the pain. "It's not your fault. None of this is your fault. We all did what we could to protect each other, and Reiji—"

Shaking his head in denial, Hajime choked out his words, his voice trembling with guilt. "It... It is my fault! I... I shouldn't have taken that last mana pill. I should have given it back to him. If I had, then he would've been able to protect himself and make it back safely. It's all my fault!"

Tears continued to stream down Kaori's face as she held him tighter, her own heart heavy with sorrow and pain. She understood the weight of his words and shared in his anguish.

"Hajime, I... I know how you feel. I'm hurting too. But please, don't blame yourself. Reiji made that choice willingly because he cared about you. He wanted to protect you, just as you wanted to protect him. We all did what we thought was best at that moment."

Amidst the uncertainty and confusion, the onlookers found themselves at a loss for what to do. It was then that Captain Meld approached Kaori and Hajime with firm determination. Without hesitation, he delivered a swift chop to the back of Hajime's neck.

A momentary spasm coursed through Hajime's body, and he slumped into unconsciousness. Kaori, quick to react, caught him before he hit the ground, her eyes filled with anger as she glared at Captain Meld. However, before Kaori could voice her disapproval, Shizuku intervened, inserting herself into the situation.