Tortus

If you want to read future chapters or simply support me, please check out my Patreon. Every single fanfic and chapter will eventually be available there. However, if you don't want to wait or simply wish to show your support, please give it a visit! Link is in the synopsis and below:

[https://patreon.com/WebNovelEros_Lord]

—————————————————————————

~Tortus~

In a rather spacious chamber constructed with white stones that resembled marble. Towering and imposing columns with intricate sculptures stretched towards the grand arched ceiling. Numerous priests adorned in white robes embellished with golden ornaments stood gathered at the center of the room.

They were chanting something in an unknown language, their hands folded across their chests. The whole room, together with the priests, gave off the aura of a cathedral.

Seconds later, a dimly illuminated pentagram glowed with a mowing light before numerous archaic symbols ran in the magic circle.

The luminous pentagram dimmed, and thirty individuals were ejected from within. Some of them fell onto their buttocks and faces, losing their balance. However, Reiji's cat-like reflexes allowed him to twist and contort his body midair, using his arms and legs to balance himself before landing on his feet.

After taking a moment to catch his breath and survey the unfamiliar surroundings, Reiji noticed a statue. The figure depicted in the statue had blond hair flowing freely behind them and wore a faint smile.

They were wreathed in a halo and had both arms spread wide as if trying to grab hold of the beautiful landscape of plains, lakes, and mountains depicted in the background. It was a truly beautiful work of art, but Reiji felt a chill run down his spine, and his hair stood on end as he gazed upon it.

He jumped back in wariness and his thoughts raced with countless possibilities. 'Is it a surveillance artifact? Is it alive? Is it a golem? Who exactly is that statue?'

After calming down his thoughts, Reiji walked away from the statue and examined the rest of the room. He finally became aware of the priests standing in the center. They were adorned in white robes with intricate gold ornaments, and their presence added to the grandeur of the room.

Eventually, one of the priests stepped forward. He was an old man in his seventies, dressed even more extravagantly than his companions. He wore a magnificently adorned monk's cap that stood approximately thirty centimeters tall.

It could be said that "old" was not the most fitting word to describe him. If not for his deeply wrinkled face and aged eyes, one might think him a man in his early fifties. As he walked, his staff jingled, producing clear and soothing notes that echoed throughout the halls.

Eventually, he spoke, saying, "Welcome to Tortus, brave heroes. It is our pleasure to welcome you here. I am the Pope of the Holy Church, Ishtar Langbard. It is an honor to make your acquaintance," said the old man, who introduced himself as Ishtar, as he broke into a warm and friendly smile.

The still-confused group of students was led by Ishtar into another room, which was furnished with numerous chairs and long tables. He explained that it would be easier to speak calmly there.

The new room was just as lavishly built as the first, with exemplary craftsmanship displayed in the furniture and tapestries hanging on the walls. The layout suggested that it was some kind of banquet hall.

Aiko Hatayama and Kouki's group of four took seats at the forefront of their designated tables, and their followers positioned themselves around them accordingly. Hajime ended up at the very end of his table with Reiji sitting next to him, leaning back into his chair, with his eyes fixed on Ishtar.