14

Lara is quite old at this point (few thousand years)

Hailey made sure the hood properly covered her head before going into the night. She stealthily left the palace and wandered the grim woods. Hailey traveled many miles before arriving at the meeting point. Her heart hammered in her chest as she felt like it was taking forever for the person to arrive.

After what felt like forever, she spotted a few figures. The leader of the rebels stepped forward. Hailey lowered her hood and stared at them.

"Our mole has returned." He cracked a smile.

"I don't agree with your ways, but it's needed for this." Hailey spoke. "He needs to be overthrown and you're the most likely to be successful."

"Kings come and go." He shrugged.

"Make him disappear."

"I need more intel."

"I gave you more than you need. You're just all cowards. That's why you haven't attacked yet." They hissed at her. "It's fine. Just admit you're afraid and I'll be on my merry way."

"We do not fear-"

"You all talk a lot of game. But when it actually amounts to something, you stall and run away." Hailey snapped.

"We planned to kidnap Allura." One of the men spoke.

"No, you will leave her out of it. Focus on Joaquin and Joaquin alone. Leave the wife and kids alone."

"Why? She's just as vile." Another commented.

"I don't care. Go against me and I'll sound the alarm."

"And then, we'll reveal your connection." Another threatened.

"Go ahead." Hailey sneered.

"You threaten us." Someone stepped forward, so the leader held a hand up.

"You should know better." The leader smirked. "5 against 1. How will you fare?" He took a menacing step forward.

"5 against 2." They all froze at the voice. "Isn't that right, Hailey?"

Hailey turned in fear to find Lara's hardened eyes. The rebels stiffened. They didn't run since they knew Lara could catch them if she desired.

"Have you been conversing with the enemy, Hailey?" Lara mockingly tilted her head. "That could get you killed."

"What are you going to make me do?" Hailey fired back. "Beg?!"

"Begging is good." Lara smirked. "I do like a woman begging underneath me."

"So you wish to force me to sleep with you in exchange for your silence." Hailey breathed out.

She expected a smart ass comment or seductive gesture from Lara, not the hurt and offended one she received. Lara furrowed her brows and shook her head. She looked down and crossed her arms.

"You of all people should know that I would never force anyone to be with me." Lara sadly spoke. "I guess you really don't know me." She looked off. "But, I guess the feeling is mutual." She left Hailey.

"You betrayed us." The leader reiterated.

"I did not and don't have time for you." Hailey waved him off. "If I live to see another day, we'll reconvene in a week."

She left him and ran back to the castle. Hailey used her senses to find Lara. She didn't care how angry and hurt the girl was. All she knew was that she had to find her.

"Lara please." Hailey chased after the girl. "Please stop." She breathed a sigh of relief when Lara finally halted. The girl's back was to her, but it felt like a brief hope. "Lara-"

"No!" Lara whipped around.

Lara's eyes were pitch black. Her fangs and nails were elongated in fury. Lara was wild and unpredictable, but Hailey had no fear. She knew Lara would never hurt her.

"Lara, you have to understand-"

"I'll stop you right there." Lara stalked towards the woman. "How dare you? How dare you?!" Lara was losing it. "Y-You!" Lara's shaking finger pointed at Hailey.

"It's not what you think-"

"How am I supposed to think?!" Lara shook in rage. "Tell me!" Lara's eyes watered. "Tell me it isn't true. Tell me I didn't see what I just saw. Tell me I went blind. Please." She croaked.

"I'm not gonna lie to you." A tear slid down Hailey's cheek, causing Lara to break down even more. "You saw correctly. I was speaking with a rebel leader."

"LIAR!" Lara bellowed. "I'm overcome with so much rage right now that I'm struggling to keep it at bay."

Hailey watched Lara's skin begin to turn a light blue. Her eyes widened since she's never seen Lara do that before. Hailey gulped as Lara's hair turned white and the princess began to snarl. She licked her lips and began to feel a little fearful.

"I- I WANT TO HURT YOU!" Lara screamed.

"Then, hurt me. I deserve it."

"YOU BETRAYED ME! I ALLOWED YOU IN! FOR YEARS, I'VE ALLOWED YOU IN AND YOU'VE PLAYED ME!"

"La-"

"I OPENED UP TO YOU! LIKE YOU ASKED! I DID IT FOR YOU! I DID ALL OF THIS FOR YOU!"

"I'm sorry." Hailey whispered.

"I want to hurt you." Lara sneered.

Lara backed Hailey into the wall. Hailey held her breath and felt her anxiety heighten. She wanted to believe the girl wouldn't hurt her, but didn't know anymore. She knew she pushed the girl past her limits. This was uncharted territory for the both of them, so who knew what Lara would do.

Lara raised her fist and punched next to Hailey's head. Hailey then watched the girl's skin slowly return to normal, her hair became brown once again, and her eyes back to their emerald beauty. Lara looked down and bit her lip in pain. She turned her head as Hailey lifted her hand to comfort the girl.

"I want to hurt you, but I can't." Lara admitted. "I care for you too much to harm you. I named you my princess and vowed to protect you, so I will fulfill my end of the bargain to the bitter end." She finally made eye contact with Hailey. "That doesn't rid the fact of the pain you've caused me. I'm in immense pain because of you, Hailey."

"May I say something?" Hailey cautiously asked.

"You may always speak to me."

"It was never to betray you. Yes, it was the rebels and it was to overthrow your father. Not you, your brother, or Alena. It was against him. He's wicked and cruel and you know it. He's not good and- Lara, I know how it looks. He's not fit to be ruler. I need you to believe that it was never meant to harm you. It was just to unearth him of his seat."

"You're playing a dangerous game, Hailey."

"I know." Hailey nodded. "But, all these years of standing by and allowing my friend be abused! And then watching him touch her children in that same vile way?!" Lara silently watched Hailey. "He hurts you. He beats you. He demeans you. That's not a father. And that's most certainly not MY king!" She firmly spoke.

"He'll kill you."

"I don't care." Hailey shook her head. "Action must take place, Lara."

"I should report you." Lara narrowed her eyes. "For treason."

"I won't stand in your way."

"You should know better than that. I'll protect you, but be careful." Lara turned her back. "Don't get caught by the guards." She walked to the door.

"Because then you can't protect me anymore?" Hailey sighed.

"Because I'll kill them all." Lara paused. "Every. Last. One. Of. Them." She then left Hailey.