8

^^Lena

Hailey and I were laughing as we carried the basket of fruit through the town. I noticed one of the town boys staring at her, so I nudged her. Hailey smirked and wandered towards him. What a flirt. I picked up Tadgh's scent and walked in that general direction.

Tadgh had a table set up outside with various vials of fluid. The fluids ranged in color and odor. I arched a brow the closer I got.

"Tadgh, what are you doing?"

"Kitten, come here." He excitedly waved me over.

I found it humorous that he waved me over, yet came to greet me. Tadgh took the basket from my hand and carried it towards his makeshift workstation.

"What do you know of ailments, kitten?"

"The physical kind?" I raised a brow. "Abnormalities of the body that are introduced by some outside force."

"Exactly!" He exclaimed. "I'm trying to make a cure for these ailments."

"But, we don't get sick."

"Not for us." He winked.

"You're to help the humans?"

"Yes!" He firmly nodded. "I want to see how far science can go to improve their lives. Wouldn't that be amazing?!"

"What's wrong with them?" I crossed my arms and noticed Tadgh's smile fall.

"The town had been ravaged by a disease. Families are burying their young. That shouldn't be happening. I want to help them anyway I can."

"Who's helping them? Tadgh or Jack?" I teased. "Why even use a fake name?"

"In case they find out I'm a vampire. I don't know. Humans are easily frightened."

"I'd be frightened too if I found out that someone far surpassed me in strength."

"Yes, but I pose no threat. I've mingled with them and haven't given any threatening gestures." His shoulders slumped.

"Hey, they know the real you. It's ok-"

We were interrupted by a few townspeople yelling. Tadgh and I furrowed our brows as we listened to them. They stated that boats, with the royal flag, were spotted close to our shore. Tadgh and I jogged up a hill that overlooked the ocean. Our eyes widened at the ships. We shared a nervous look before returning back to the city center.

"Hails!" I ran up to her.

"This is my friend, Lena." Hailey wrapped her arms around me while speaking to a man.

"Hails, Colin, there's-"

"You know him?!" Hailey was shocked.

"He brings me a lot of science supplies." I quickly answered her. "Ships with the royal flag were spotted."

"What?!" Hailey and Colin blurted out.

"Yes, over there." Tadgh beckoned them over. "Look."

It didn't take long for most of the townspeople to stare at the intimidating ships. Tadgh muttered something about the visitors harming the nearby human population. I sent him a pitiful look because the royal family weren't ones to trifle with.

"Why are they coming?" Hailey held my hand.

"I don't know." I shook my head. "They reside in the vampire realm. Why aree they in the human realm?"

"Is it the king or the children?" Tadgh wondered.

"Jeez, I hope they just want royal hospitality and then leave." Colin shivered.