4

3 months later

Alec and Sophie laughed while flying the kite that Alec had gifted to Sophie. He handcrafted it and incorporated as much of her personality into the design. Sophie adored the gift and bugged the young prince to teach her to fly it. So now, his arms were wrapped around the excited girl. Her eyes lit up as the kite soared in the sky.

Sophie tilted her head back allowing it to rest against Alec's chest. He felt his heart swell at the feeling of his mate in his arms. Sophie arched her head up to send him a smile. Alec stared back at her with mixed emotion. He noticed Sophie subtly wet her lips, making him pull back.

"Sophie, may I be honest with you?"

"Of course!

"The only thought in my mind is how much I'd like to kiss you." His statement shocked the girl. "However, I wish to be completely honest with you." Alec paused in order to capture her full attention. "I currently have a partner, Carol. I had promised to make her an engaged woman."

"Oh." Sophie's shoulders deflated.

"I have no romantic feelings for her. I've never experienced the heart palpitations and giddiness before you. I'm falling for you and wish to be with you. My only qualm is that I prefer not to hurt Carol. She's a good person."

"So you're not single?" Sophie muttered at the ground.

"No, which is why I can't kiss you yet."

"From how you speak of Carol, you must really like her." Sophie felt slightly insecure.

"I do like her as a friend. I value her as that. She's been there for me through it all. That's why it pains me to hurt her."

"Look, Alec." Sophie held his hands. "I like you a lot. I really do, but I don't want to cause any problems. That being said..." She took a deep breath. "I think we should simply remain friends." Sophie offered a bright smile.

"Why?" Alec felt like the air was knocked out of him.

"If you end it with her, it'll cause problems. Right?"

"Well, yes, but-"

"Alec, I don't want you to go through any more hardships, especially if it's because of me." Sophie kissed his cheek. "Be with Carol." She whispered before leaving him.

Alec squeezed his hands as he forced his mind to compartmentalize his emotions. He was feeling hurt over Sophie's rejection, but also guilt towards Carol. He had feelings for another women and knew he needed to make Carol aware of the new development. Alec wanted nothing more than to pursue Sophie, but she had told him to forego his feelings for her.

Alec briskly walked back to the castle grounds. Alec kept his head lowered as he passed the guards. He slammed his office door close and punched the air in anger. Alec heard the sound of floorboards creaking, so he turned around. Josephine gave him an awkward smile.

"I forgot you were coming today. Apologize for my improper behavior." He lowered his head in atonement.

"Why are you always so formal, Alec?" Josephine laughed and hugged the stiff vampire. "What happened?"

"A lot." He muttered. "Would you like a drink?" He poured two glasses of wine.

"Thank you. Now, sit." Josephine took the offered glass. "Tell me what happened."

"My arranged marriage is proving to be more complicated than previously thought."

"You're stuck between two women?" Josephine's eyes brightened.