CHAPTER SIXTY-FOUR

Start from the beginning

I loved her.

That's why I had to do this.

I used my cane to walk over to the table, I thought about packing a bag but there was no point to. I stared down at the blue box Athena had gifted me with and lifted the lid to see the metal fingers inside.

They were incredibly made and detailed beautifully, the blacksmith who created these were definitely skilled.

I picked one of the hands up, the fingers flopping downwards as I held it, it had a leather strap to wrap around my wrist and another to cross over my hand. I slid it on and tried it out.

It wasn't too bulky, but there wasn't any proper use for them, I still couldn't use my hands properly. In the last few months working with Dr Laveen I had only been able to manage small twitches in my fingers. The nerves in my forearms had been damaged too much. I slid the hand off and placed it back inside the box, closing the lid.

I held the box in my arm and slid on my boots ready to leave.

Athena would never agree to do it for me, I was foolish enough to ask her that in the first place.

I left my chambers for the last time and quietly closed the door behind me, I knew Athena's chambers were only down the corridor from my own. The sun was only a few hours from rising, and I hadn't heard Athena scream in a while. I made it to her door and slowly pushed it open, I found her curled up in her bed her body shaking underneath the sheet.

It broke me to see her like this.

I placed the box down on the table and my eyes dragged over to her beauty stand, the mirror showing my reflection. I stared at the metal plate burned into my jaw. I could still recall the pain I felt, the smell of my own flesh burning. Below my reflection sat a familiar dagger box with a silver metal leaf lock. Glancing at Athena I saw she hadn't woken.
I stepped over to the box and lifted the lid to show the silver dagger inside, emerald gems perched in the guard and engraved vines decorating the rest of the small weapon.

My wedding gift I gave her almost three years ago. Time had not felt that long. I grabbed the dagger, tucked it into my belt and turned back to Athena- undisturbed. I wanted to go over to her, hold her, kiss her one last time- I knew if I did I wouldn't leave. So I left.

I didn't run into anyone as I managed by way down the stairs to the knights quarters, a place I had memorized so well. My home. The walls were I had grown up. I spotted some knights up on the wall patrolling, as they turned I headed towards the stables and saddled up a horse. Athena's horse Winnie stood in her pen watching me slowly move around. The pen where Nox used to live was filled by another horse, replacing her.

I remember Athena had come here to hide after her wedding, she said she'd fainted and that's when I gave her the dagger. There were too many memories everywhere I looked.

Once I had the horse saddled I used a stool and managed to get up onto the horses back.

None of the stable boys were awake but I knew the knights patrolling would see me leave.
I looked back up at the castle like I could see her sleeping through the walls. This was the best way. She wouldn't get hurt like this. Not as much as if she did completely in love.

I nudged the side of the horse and he broke out into a trot, my body ached from the movement instantly and my strength felt like it would falter on me any second.

I could feel the eyes of the knights on patrol spot me, trying to see who I was in the darkness. More up in the tower watching me ride across the open garden like a dark shadow, towards the main road. Athena would find out I was gone and she would move on. I will die without hurting her.