CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO

I had taken Edmunds words to heart- he was right, I was giving up. The two options I had were not ones I wanted or would allow to happen, I made my own third option. If Arthur wanted my death I would fight against him. If Cole wanted to hide me away I would tell the world the truth and I will continue fighting to live how I want to. I didn't care if my name would be sullied, if my brother would resent me for it. We may had shared the same womb, have the same blood running through our veins, but my life was not his. Not anyone's.

Dawn broke and my Oath had already begun.

Darius had returned in the early hours of the morning, he had scouted the location of the base from my directions. Giving us more of an advantage. Zynthesius could move his army but not his castle of sand.

Lance took Edmund with his company and begun their trek northwards to flank on the north-western mountain surrounding the base. The King and the rest of the army prepared to move south-west to the other mountains surrounding the base. Zynthesius was a sitting duck, we would fight until there was no one left standing- until that monster was dead.

"Save that look for our father." Cole mumbled down beside me.

"We're so close now." I said staring out at the desert, rocky mountains sat in the distance, trenches, and hills filling in the space between. Looking back behind us at the army standing in their ranks, covering the land like sand.

"Princess." My eyes lifted up to the gladiator whose hand rested on the hilt of his sword. The only armour not covered. The other gladiator woman stood on the edge of the army, waiting for her companion.

"Captain." I smiled, Cole looking on too.

We watched as Darius' height dropped as he lowered himself onto one knee, bowing his head. I wanted to ask but I couldn't- Darius didn't speak, didn't show himself with that pride, only bowed. The Captain stood, sending a small nod to my brother then turned and ran over to his companion- together they kept running out to the West. Even with no words, I knew what Darius meant.

Looking back at everyone else, there were not a set of eyes that had looked away.

I found those dark brown ones, his jaw clenched as he watched me- planning more furiously than before.

Without the speed of horses, we marched behind the King and his eldest son, heading further and further away from the forest. Covered by our cloaks, the army moved like the sand grains that blew in the wind. The hard ground begun to crack under our feet, parched from any water. I remembered the feeling like it was yesterday.

I looked up at the King talking to Arthur and another Commander who had moved to his side, I saw their lips moving but no words come out. Cole walked in step beside me, his hood covering his blonde hair that matched my own.

To the north of us the sounds of shouts echoed across the land, the front lines were battling. Thousands of knights following behind Captain Darius- sacrificing themselves while we passed behind and around to the centre of it all. My hand gripped my sword until I felt my callouses pop.

We walked until the sun stood above our heads and the rocky mountain stood on our right.

"This is where Arthur and I will leave you." I felt myself stop, looking up at the King.

"Father, I would like to stay at my wife's side." Arthur said taking a step back near me, but not beside me.

Eugene nodded with a wave of his hand another Captain stepped forwards, together they lead half of the army deeper West, traveling along the side of the mountain.

"Send scouts up the mountain." I was the first to turn back to the company that remained with us.

"Yes Captain." Thrall dipped his head, Kalec stepped forwards beside him, along with my Tyro, Jondalar. All three begun their ascent, scurrying up the side of the rocky mountain that shielded the monster within.