CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

"I don't want you to be worried. Enjoy the celebrations." Arthur said giving my hand a light squeeze, I flinched internally at the feeling.

I didn't know how to respond to Arthur when he was like this, it all felt like a test. One I knew I had already failed but had to see to it to the end. As Arthur and I reached the top of the stairs I stared at our portrait hanging on the wall. Even in paintings there was no love there, we looked like two people forcing themselves into something they could not handle. Below all of the candles, gifts and flowers had been taken away after that night in the kitchen. The missing Princess was alive, although I felt anything but.

As we reached the top of the stars I slid my arm into the crook of Arthurs, I smiled down at a few of the guests hanging around in the foyer with glasses of wine- all waiting to see me in person.

"Oh your Highness, what a miracle it is to see you again."

"Thank you."

"How lucky you are to survive such a thing Princess."

"Thank you."

"You must have been so brave."

"Thank you."

"So glad you're alive and well your Highness."

"Thank you."

"Excuse us. My dear why don't you take a break in the sunroom, your family should be arriving soon." Arthur whispered down to me as we managed to break away from another group of guests. More people arrived earlier, eager to catch a glimpse- at me.

"Please." I breathed out, I was that tense I didn't realise my hand was clutching onto Arthur's arm like my life depended on it.

Arthur closed the doors to the sunroom behind us, the night already felt like a blur in my mind. I stepped away from his body towards the lit fireplace soaking up some of its warmth.

"Are you alright my dear? You look rather pale." Arthur frowned walking over to me.

I glared up at him, "Why are you acting like you care." I shot.

Instantly Arthurs exterior changed- turning dark like that night in the kitchen a week ago. Instead of the man who was acting as my loving husband, I stood before the monster within.

"Shall I remind you?" Arthur's voice was empty, only rage seeped from his body. I winced back as his hand gripped my wrist yanking me towards him, his other snatching up my jaw to slam his lips back down upon mine. I cried out against his lips trying to wiggle myself free, my muscles only screamed back at me. Tears streaked down my cheeks as the hand holding my wrist moved to grab my waist, pulling me towards him. I kept fight back every second that passed while he forced himself on my mouth, his tongue tasting my own. My body only felt fear- that desire I felt at the beginning was entirely gone.

"Ah apologies brother- we'll find our own spot." Arthur snapped his head towards the door hearing Edmunds voice, looking over at him, I caught a glimpse of a beautiful young lady hooked to his arm. The music from outside flooded in, along with the conversations of the guests outside in the foyer.

"Stay out of trouble Edmund." Arthur called back at him moving towards the door.

Edmunds eyes caught mine just as the doors closed behind the young couple, dread filled me as his eyes narrowed in on the tears staining my face. Arthur had already closed the door on them.

We stood alone in silence, "As your husband, I care about you and your wellbeing. You need to learn that. And never speak to me like that again."

I blinked and he had turned leaving the sunroom, leaving me completely and utterly alone- terrified still.

Nothing would be like the way it was before, I had wished so badly to be with Lionel and I got that time with him- locked in a rotting cell. Now I was facing reality, the consequences to my actions. If I had hidden the truth I would have been acting happy just like before but worse, the guilt would have riddled me until exhaustion.