CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE

How I had remembered the check points through the forest were not what they looked like two years ago, now they were larger, homed to most wounded knights that are slowly making their way back home. The first two stops we gave less than half our supplies away for the wounded, the rest would be for the main base on the border line.

"Have you had your palms mended yet sister?" I turned from the edge of the forest looking back at my brother.

I felt the calluses on my hands as I unconsciously rubbed my fingers against my palms. I'd forgotten what a long journey on horseback did to the hands and legs.

"Not yet." I said placing my hand on the hilt of my sword.

"You should before you sleep, you need your hands to weld a sword." Cole said standing at my shoulder, we both looked out into the darkening forest.

The sun had already set though not all of its light had yet vanished.

"Cole," I breathed, looking up at my twin. "After this war, I feel another one may begin to brew."

"What do you mean?" My brother questioned.

I glanced back behind us, making sure we were out of ear shot from all the other knights roaming around the base camp.

"I will be returning home with you once I have Lionel." I said.

"Yes you did say that. Is there something else going on? I've noticed, some things between you and your husband. It doesn't seem like your usual marriage. You both hardly talk, or even look at each other." Cole raised a brow, keeping his voice low.

"He is much of a husband to me than our father is dead." I told him. Cole turned to me fully, his expression solid as the hardest stone.

"What you say could get yourself killed. You are to be Queen of the South, so why-?" Cole frowned down at me as I turned to face him as an equal.

"I need you Cole." I breathed out, my eyes flicking to the movement that seemed a little too close for comfort.

"And you have me. We are blood. Born of the same womb. I need to know what is going on if you need me to help you. What you said about, him-" Cole begun, "He is to be the next King, as am I- of the North. Your marriage is to primarily help keep peace between our kingdoms."

"I will be leaving, the South, and Arthur." I grabbed my brothers arm pulling him a few steps deeper into the forest, "He is planning my death in this battle."

Cole's arm slipped from my hand, his head tilted slightly as he eyed me off. I could be killed for those words and my twin knew it too. He also knew I wouldn't have said them is if it weren't true.

"What would bring him to do such a thing?" Cole asked looking deeper into the accusation.

I swallowed, "I- I am in love with Captain Lionel Vanderwolf."

Cole's hand snapped up to his chin, rubbing over his shaven jaw, "You know, I always thought I had a hunch, but I didn't think you would be irresponsible enough to make an action on it."

I glared at him, "It wasn't my fault!"

Cole's head rolled, leaning towards me as he grabbed both my elbows, "Wasn't your fault- they are words of a child Athena. You are smarter than this. This could start another war, one no one could return from." He growled. "Friends would be forced to turn, it would be uglier than this war with the West. All for what- love."

"Did it not get through your thick head that Arthur is planning to have me killed in battle." I snapped back.

"He is doing the responsible thing. If I were him-"