CHAPTER FORTY-SIX

The first thing I felt was the pounding ache in the back of my head, my tongue peeled off the roof of my mouth and I rolled feeling my summer-silk bedsheets around me. It was the first time my sleep was undisturbed, I didn't have a nightmare.

Looking around I saw Clare hadn't come in to open my drapes, I wondered what time it was. I don't remember coming back- or getting into bed- or changing into my chemise. I stared down at my body, my clothes from last night were nowhere to be found, perhaps Clare had come and let me sleep in.

I was being moved out of my chambers today.

Sitting up I rubbed my crusty eyes, the sunlight was streaming a small beam of light directly onto the floor- smaller than it was most mornings. Sliding out I stepped over and slowly pulled the drape back, my eyes squinted making me take a moment for them to adjust. The sun was already high up in the sky, I'd slept most of the morning already.

How had Arthur not come wake me? Did he really believe the white lie Clare told him last night and gave me time?

"Oh good morning your Highness." I shot around hearing the door to my chambers swing open. Clare dipped her head and wondered in. I had too many questions rushing my mind, instead I stood by the window with my jaw ajar.

"You returned rather late last night so I didn't wake you this morning, it's almost lunch now so I thought I would come." Clare smiled headed right to my wardrobe, she pulled open a white and golden drawer and grabbed out a pair of trousers.

"Clare?" I breathed out, taking a step towards her.

"Yes your Highness?" Clare asked straightening her back.

"How did I get back?" I asked, "A-and who changed me?" I glanced down at the chemise covering my body.

"I did." Clare dipped her head, "Prince Edmund carried you inside. You were already asleep."

"Ah." I nodded, "And Arthur?" I asked composing myself.

"He's in his study, you returned so late I don't believe he woke." Clare smiled placing the trousers and white shirt on the table.

"Good." I glanced down and smiled to myself. The last thing I recall from the tavern was singing obnoxiously loud with Edmund and the others, we were drinking pint after pint of ale and rum- it was very different to the royal wine and alcohol supplied at Royal Balls.

After a warm rose-scented bath, soaking off the smell of last night's activities my headache had gone away. I changed into my trousers and shirt ready to head straight to training after some lunch- I didn't feel like eating a whole lot. As I walked through the door I turned back looking at all my belongings, they were replicated from my chambers in the North. When I return tonight there would be a blend of Arthurs belongings too.

A shared bed.

I skipped lunch all together and headed straight to the training grounds, my armour was stored in an enclosed room with the other Prince's armour and weapons. I only slid on my chest and shoulder pieces then headed out to borrow a sword.

The floorboards had been converted into a stage, with half the guest seats set out. It looked exactly like my ceremony. Only a day and the recruits would be dubbed a knight. Was Arthur leading it like mine? He must have done quite a lot in the time I was gone. All that time feels like a blank space, I was missing for nineteen months- the world moved on while I suffered with Lionel. The only difference this time around was that I was going to save Lionel from that place. We had no one come to our rescue before- together we fought and one of us only managed to get free.

I walked past the stadium and headed around to a leather dressed figure, the sun was already warm even with clouds covering the sky. My arms lifted and my shoulders rotated, I stepped and swung down hard landing multiple blows onto the figure. I still had a long way to go before I was ready to fight in the war again. Even with everything going on here I wouldn't let myself get distracted from my true goal. My Oath.