CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX

"You should head downstairs Princess, the guests are starting to arrive." Tanya spoke behind me as I looked over Lionel's sleeping body. Miya smiled from the end of the bed, ready to watch over him while I was gone as always. I knew he was in perfectly capable hands with her.

I gave Lionel's hand a light squeeze, feeling the bony limbs then let go.

"Notify me on any changes." I said to Miya as I stood from the chair.

"Certainly, your Highness." Miya curtsied moving to the chair I stepped away from.

"Come on now, you have a coronation to get to." Tanya held her hand out to me to come, I walked over fixing my gown around my legs.

It was a deep silky blueish black, to match the colours of the North. Wrapping around my shoulders and hung much longer than a lot of my other dresses. Tanya had braided my hair in a comfortable Northern style, with curled strands framing my face and added a small simple tiara. I refused to wear the gloves she had laid out for me, they were elbow length and there to hide the scaring on my arms.

Not only was today the crowning of a new King, mother was leaving her throne- a life she was married into many, many years ago. The former King of the North a was a traitor and Cole had a much larger seat to fill. There were those who were worried the blood of a traitor had seeped into Cole, and others knew how kind of a man he was to the people. He had fought in the war beside all others and killed our father in the end.

Cole had seen what he had done to Lionel- what that monster was truly capable of doing and plunged his sword into his heart. Cole was nothing like father was. My brother was in every single way a better man.

"Remember to greet everyone you can, in order of status, your mother will not be there until the ceremony begins- she plays a part in this just like your brother. You are representing the North. I will be lingering about if you need anything." Tanya said as she escorted me down the corridor towards the grand staircase that spit curving down to the foyer. Between them was the entrance to the throne room.

I nodded, "Thank you, I know I have to do this." Tanya's freckled hands petted over my own that held onto her arm.

"We all believe in you." She smiled, before the top of the stairs. Tanya gave me an encouraging nod and gestured down one side of the staircase. Below music could be heard and people chatting as they started to gather. Butlers wondered around with trays of wine and desserts to eat, almost everyone held a glass.

I sucked in a breath and walked to the top of the staircase alone.

Everyone's eyes began to lift as I appeared and started my descent. The ceremony starts with me greeting everyone on my mothers and their future Kings behalf. My eyes raked over all the faces, Lords and Ladies, Earls, cousins and friends from all across the two kingdoms and some from overseas. All dressed exquisitely for the Coronation of a King, wearing their house colours and styles alike.

With my hands by my side I gracefully stepped down the staircase, smiling the entire time.
Panic flooded me, I did not know who I should step towards first. I couldn't see the former King and Queen of the South in the crowd, who I would have gone to first. Below them were- Cousins of Eugene, from Oakheart. No, I was in Verona now- Earl Magnus from James Town and Cousin Clare.

I didn't see their faces. I was flooded with the anxiety I was desperately trying to keep out. I couldn't mess this up, I had to do it for my family. I swallowed the lump in my throat and kept my chin up, I could do this.

My eyes snapped to the only other moving person in the foyer, he excused himself as he walked towards the last step right near me. He wore a navy jacket, draped with a white and golden sash over his right shoulder- his medal from war pinned on top. Around his head wrapped a golden band.