CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

"I knew you were an incorrigible woman but this is rich, even for you." Arthur glared down at me as we reached the top of the staircase. I stumbled slightly as his hand dragged my arm along with him.

"Begone with you." I muttered, "From the first day I met you- you ruined everything in my life."

"Must have been so hard marrying a man who only cared for you." Arthur glared back, the grip on my arm tightening as he pulled me down the corridor to my chambers.

"Care for me! Care?! You think this is caring?" I growled trying to yank my arm from his iron grip.

"Keep your voice down." Arthur stepped towards me closing the distance between us.

"You don't get the benefits of alcohol after what you've done- you're not allowed to forget."

"I will never forget this." I held his glare. His nostrils flared and went back to dragging me towards my chambers.

"Don't act innocent. You're the one who went behind my back with another man. We made vows Athena." Arthur growled out as he shut the door to my chambers, the room empty of Clare after I sent her home for the night.

"And after finding out the true you, I'm not sorry anymore." I spun back around to him after walking into my room.

A short cry escaped my mouth as a hot sting penetrated my cheek.

Arthur stood there fuming, his hand still in the air after slapping me across the face.

My knees buckled underneath me and I collapsed to the floor, speechless- holding my cheek, the stinging sensation lingering.

Every hard punch, unbearable kick, agonizing cut from a blade slicing into my flesh. All those days hanging on the wall until I didn't feel the pain. Laying on the dirty ground half unconscious deprived of food and water. All the threats and curses returned in that one single slap.

"You will watch the way you speak to me. In the morning I expect to see you down for breakfast with your family. Do not be late." Arthur straightened his jacket, looking down at me on the floor. "Goodnight my dear." He didn't even crack a smile, only turned and left shutting the door behind him.

I heaved over gasping for air, tears flooding my eyes as I let out a cry- sobbing into the floor. Nothing could have prepared me for this- the pain inside my chest radiating out to the tips of my fingers to the bottom of my souls. My body could only curl up and cry, wishing I could vanish forever and stop feeling everything.

Except, that wasn't reality, not even close.

I watched the sun rise through the crack in my window drapes, laying tangled in my cotton bedsheets. I had hardly slept at all, Arthur and I didn't retire from the evening until a few hours from sunrise- after that hit, sleep was the last thing my body wanted to do.

Instead of waiting in my bed for Clare I decided to get up, changing from my chemise to a pair of clean trousers and a long sleeved, loose white shirt- keeping it all together with a belt.

After drinking a few-too many glasses last night, food was the last thing I wanted to add to my stomach. Passing my mirror my body caught a glimpse of itself, of my face. I had a blueish-yellow bruise stained to my cheek.

Right where Arthur had hit me.

Quickly I grabbed the makeup powder that Clare used most days under my eyes and I layered it onto my cheek covering the bruise. It took everything left inside of me to hold back the tears as I powered my face. Once I could no longer see it at close range I put the makeup away and wondered over to my windows, sliding the drapes open to let the morning sun shine in, lighting up the furthest corners of my room.