CHAPTER FIFTY-FIVE

I shifted the armour on my chest as I walked, the Northern Dragon sitting on my shoulders. My new sword tapping against my leg as I walked. It was coming to the end of summer now. The land was already preparing for Autumn, the sun was a little less warm and the deciduous trees had slowly begun turning yellow like the sunsets.

"Easy." I huffed pulling down on Winnie's reins as she fussed beside me. She made sure to tell me what she had on her mind with a short rumble from her lips. "I know, I know, you'll get a treat when we get back."

She walked easy the rest of the way back to the stables. I had gotten sore from riding, my back hadn't been able to handle the pressure for long so we walked the rest of the way back home together.

"Captain!" By the training grounds I spotted Michelle wave me down. Her black hair was now cut short to her head. Any Tyro who dared mistake her for a man got extra night guard duties.

"Captain Michelle." I smiled back petting Winnie's neck as I handed her over to one of the stable boys.

"How was your ride?" Michelle asked coming nearer.

"Tiring, autumns come around fast." I said opening the potted jar of sugar cubes.

"That it has." Michelle smiled. "I've come to ask if you wanted to join myself and a few others for a drink in town tonight?"

"Oh, ah, maybe another night, I'm helping Cole with some of his coronation arrangements. Thank you for the invitation though." I held the sugar cube out under Winnie's nose and she quickly gobbled it up with her lips. The stable boy unhooked her saddle and slid it from her back.

Michelle nodded her head, "Alright, you will be missed. Next time then." She smiled then headed on her way.

I lent my head down on the side of Winnie's next, she smelt rich of horse sweat and hay.

"Why can't I bring myself to ever go." I mumbled out asking Winnie.

"Because you're afraid of making friends again." My fingers squished Winnie's lips making them move.

"Maybe." I frowned.

"Tanya would want you to go." Winnie 'spoke'.

"Well Tanya doesn't know I get invited almost every week." I moved around to the front of Winnie, running my hand down her creamy coloured forehead. "Besides you're a horse, what do you know."

"I think she knows more than she lets on." My body shot straight, flinging around to see the face that matched the voice. "They listen to all the chatter from the stablemen, who get it from the knights." Cole smirked.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him.

Cole raised his brow, holding out his hands, "I live here too sister." He wore a black and red vest over his white cuffed shirt. Black ink smudged over his fingertips.

"Oh that's right, sometimes I like to imagine I'm an only child. It brightens my day." I jested. Winnie agreeing with me.

"I'm glad to see you have enough spirit back in you to jest." Cole smiled reaching his empty palm out to Winnie's searching mouth, "Though not enough to go drinking with the other Captains?" He raised an inquiring brow.

I glanced back at my horse. Cole had heard my whole conversation with myself- well with Winnie.

"I'm not ready to go out with others yet. I've only just managed to start getting back outside for the first time in nine months." I started unhooking the reins and removing the bite from Winnie's mouth.

"And it's an incredible step you've made, you should be proud of yourself. I am." Cole smiled.

"Now you want me to start socialising out of work?" I asked gesturing behind him to the knights that moved around in the distance.