CHAPTER SIXTY

During the breaks between recruit training the castle always felt a lot quieter without the extra platoons worth of people here. I never minded the quiet, I had more time to train and concentrate on other things. After asking Lionel to marry me and him refusing, and everything thereafter- I felt sympathetic towards him more than before, and guilt.

Even though Lionel was alive, he wasn't living.

I understood that better than anyone. This was the worlds cruel way of giving me what I wanted, consequences of what I did to get here.

"Athena, how was your training?" I looked up as I heard Michelle's voice. She was walking towards me down the corridor from Lionel's chambers. "I stopped in to see Lionel." She added before I responded. Michelle was out of armour for once, wearing a fur coat over her clothes to keep warm.

"How is he?" I asked ignoring her first question.

Michelle pursed her lips and adverted her gaze for a second, "I can see him struggling. Anger is starting to get the better of him, and being cramped up in his room wouldn't help. Maybe we could get him outside? Another and I could help carry him downstairs."

"I don't think he'd agree to that." I mumbled, "But, I'll ask him."

"I'll happily drag him outside myself if he refuses." Michelle made an attempt of a jest.

I tried to smile, "He'd like that even less."

"I'll see you tomorrow." Michelle smiled, dipping her head.

"See you Michelle." I watched as she walked past and headed further down the corridor. Stepping towards Lionel's door, I placed my hand on the handle and hesitated slightly before entering.

"I hope Michelle didn't give you too much trouble." I smiled shutting the door behind me. Lionel sat up in his bed looking down at his hands. Only one window drape was pulled open, the rest were closed keeping the darkness in.

"Not as much as she usually does." Lionel responded looking up at me. His eyes dropped down to the metal plated armour covering my chest and the sword sheathed at my side.

"Why are you sitting in the dark? The sun still has a few hours before nightfall." I said walking over to one of the closed drapes. Lionel said nothing as I slid one open letting more afternoon light flood into the room.

"I spoke to Michelle out in the corridor, we thought maybe getting you outside for a few hours might do you some good." I said walking over to his bed after I got no response from Lionel about the drapes.

"And do what?" Lionel asked. I sat down on the edge of the bed, my sword hanging over the edge.

"I could have snacks prepared."

"And let everyone watch you feed the cripple man." Lionel snapped. His eye flashed with regret instantly after, "I'm sorry." His chin lowered and I scooted closer grabbing his face, lifting it back up to meet mine.

"We don't have to be around anyone, we could go out to the garden before it gets too cold. I sort of have a bit of power here to make sure no one bothers us." I smiled. Lionel's head tilted down, resting his metal jaw into my hand. "It will be good for you to get some proper sunlight, and have a different view."

"But I like this view." Lionel breathed out, his hand lifting to touch my own, his fingers were soft but didn't fully touch my own.

I blushed at his comment- the view, he was referring to myself, "You flatter me Sir, but it is inappropriate, we are but acquaintances." I jested. Lionel's lips curved upwards- an actual smile. It was the first time I had seen him smile since returning.