CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

Start from the beginning

Gardeners and workers moved around trimming the bushes and setting up lights throughout the garden for the Royal Ball. Another ball in my name. All while Lionel sufferers back in the place I could only see in my nightmares. While so many continue to die on the front lines fighting against the man who used to be my father.

I had spoken with King Eugene on my second day about what I knew of the Postradore Empire, how many knights were in the building and its layout- from what I remembered. We managed to pin the location of the flat castle a whole day's journey from the battle on the boarder, perched between the two mountain ranges.

"The building looked like nothing I'd never seen before, it was flat and made of sand stone." I said to the King who stood across from me at the table. The map of the land lay between us, covered in figures representing the positions of the companies. I had placed a block between the mountain rage where I thought that place would be.

"Perfectly disguised in the barren sandy plains. How many buildings did you see?" Eugene asked reaching for the half drunken glass of wine on the edge of the table.

I tried thinking back but my mind was so foggy, everything was so bright.

"I'm unsure precisely, I just remember seeing more behind this first building- where we were kept." I said gesturing down to the block in front of me. Eugene's eyes glanced down, the glass to his lips.

"We'll only assume it's a well-built fort, nothing less." He spoke after, "It gives a perfect layout for where he may have knights located for protection and the terrain will give us a more accurate idea of where his forces are moving around. You have done exceptionally well Athena. I do not know many knights who have returned from being captured alive, you are quite strong-willed indeed. We can only hope Captain Vanderwolf is the same, for your sake."

My lips pursed, I refused to believe anything else about Lionel's state. He had to be alive. My eyes wondered over the map, the trail Eugene and I had conclude to where I wondered, dodging the armies along the front lines. It was strange seeing it outlined on a map, it looked rather short- with an injury to the leg, malnourished and exhausted it turned into a week's journey.

"Sir, I also ask if you could spare some knights to investigate Greyswitch, the hidden village here." I said pointing my finger down on the spot where Greyswitch was marked on the map. Perfectly surrounded by thick forest to the north and east, mountainous terrain to the west and south, lay Greyswitch.

"I know the war has caused a great struggle on the land, people are poor and desperate.

There is a black market, where innocents are being sold as objects and subjected to harm. I have not spoken this to anyone yet- not even Arthur but, before I had reached the mountains I was found by two brothers, Thrall and Kalec."

I told the King the story of the two brothers who hunted in the forest and captured others to sell in Greyswitch, how Kalec had burned the wound on my thigh closed as a punishment and an aid. How Thrall kept giving me chances to escape, and finally succeeded in the village.

"I see." King Eugene finally said after I finished, "I will have a section of knights investigate the town undercover and any word upon hearing there are more of these black markets in other towns, they will be dealt with accordingly as well. As for this Kalec and Thrall persons- if you are only speaking of them now, I assume you were trying to protect them?"

"In a way I suppose I was. They are not bad people, well Thrall definitely is not. They're both just trying to survive the easiest way they can. I do not condone what Kalec has done, but I think another punishment may be suitable- for all parties involved." I said lifting my chin slightly as I stared over at the King.