Chapter 33

Nan Gongjin wouldn't intentionally make excuses for his lateness to deceive himself. Although Duanmu Zhengjie, who has always had keen intuition, felt that something was amiss, he didn't continue to dwell on the matter.

Moreover, most of her attention was already taken by the red roses in front of her.

Nan Gongjin also noticed the flowers on the table. The adjacent tables were decorated with elegant lilies, while their table stood out with its unique embellishment.

However, the western-style restaurant, romantic red roses, elegant piano music, and the distant coastline made everything feel more vibrant.

"These flowers... look nice," Nan Gongjin commented lightly.

Duanmu Zhengjie's lips curled upward.

Just like people, flowers also have their own beauty and elegance. A noble flower can be recognized at a glance for its identity.

"Mr. Nan suddenly invited me to dinner, which pleasantly surprised me."

"Being able to have dinner with Miss Duanmu is my good fortune."

They exchanged a few polite remarks.

"Regarding the last time, I haven't properly thanked Mr. Nan yet, so let me offer my gratitude today by borrowing the flowers," Duanmu Zhengjie said softly as she washed her hands in the lemon water brought by the waiter.

"For such a trivial matter, Miss Duanmu doesn't have to feel any psychological pressure. I'm helping you, not seeking your thanks," Nan Gongjin replied, his eyes lacking warmth as usual, but now reflecting Duanmu Zhengjie's figure.

Upon hearing this, Duanmu Zhengjie paused her hand-washing motion, then lowered her head and smiled as if she was shyly evading his intense gaze, unsure of how to face him.

However, beneath her lowered eyelashes, a hint of profound meaning was concealed.

As the steak they ordered was brought to the table, Duanmu Zhengjie picked up her knife and fork, ready to cut into her own portion of steak, when suddenly she noticed something.

Underneath the beautifully arranged white porcelain plate where the steak lay, there was a small splash of reddish sauce, about the size of a peanut.

It seemed to be the result of the sauce being poured onto the steak, but the shape was so exquisite that it didn't look like a coincidence.

Duanmu Zhengjie stared at the small pattern for a while, unable to contain her amusement.

Nan Gongjin noticed her hesitation and considerately asked, "What's wrong? Is there something wrong with the steak? Shall we order a different one?"

"No," Duanmu Zhengjie hurriedly replied, "I just find the pattern on this steak quite interesting." Since Nan Gongjin asked, it should mean that he didn't arrange this pattern.

The pattern on the steak, interesting?

Nan Gongjin's eyebrows furrowed almost imperceptibly, but in the end, he didn't say anything.

Duanmu Zhengjie held the knife in her right hand and gently made a cut through the center of the reddish heart-shaped pattern before cutting into the steak.

After the meal, Duanmu Zhengjie started to speculate.

It seemed like Nan Gongjin was trying to... seduce her?

Well, after all, she belonged to the Duanmu family.

By the time they reached the dessert course, Duanmu Zhengjie still maintained her reserved and indifferent demeanor, which made Nan Gongjin somewhat impatient.