•ONE•

Danica Thompson

I let out a sigh in exhasperation as I read the text on my phone from my stepmom, Kennedy. She was supposed to pick me up from basketball practice but is insisting that I walk back home.

I zipped my jacket up completely and shivered as I walked down the sidewalk.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck it's cold. I hate my fucking life." I cursed to myself.

As I walked a little further down the dark street, I noticed two guys arguing. They were a distance away and didn't notice me, so I just ignored them and decided to take a detour and walk a few extra blocks because I don't want to get caught up in the mix.

The arguing got more intense, so I just kept my distance as much as I could before I took the detour. My phone lit up with a text so I turned the brightness down and peeked at it to find a text from my best friend, Cassie.

Are you home yet?- Cassie

No- Danica

Did you need a ride?- Cassie

No, It's fine. I'm almost home anyways- Danica

I looked up to see one of the men holding up a gun.

I stopped dead in my tracks as I was completely petrified. Nothing around me mattered anymore. I forgot it was cold, night time, why I was walking in the first place, and my mind just blanked.

He pulled the trigger creating a loud "pop" noise that caused my ears to ring.

Out of instinct, I closed my eyes and ducked down, but when I opened my eyes, the other man was just a lifeless body on the ground, laying in a pool of his own blood.

I dropped everything and just ran.

"Hey!" I heard a man's voice yell.

I just kept running until I heard large footsteps behind me. That's when I sprinted.

I heard another gunshot by my foot and it scared me, so I tripped and fell then scrambled to get up.

Once I got to my feet, I felt someone grab me by my wrist and pull my body into their's.

There was instantly a cloth placed over my mouth. I started kicking and screaming, but the more I struggled, the weaker I got and the darker everything else around me got.