028

Benny shut the door behind him, running a hand through his hair. He scooped up a bunch of letters on his floor and headed to the living room in his hotel room. Losing to Jennifer yesterday threw him back. He had lost his title to his ex-girlfriend. How ridiculous. But he wasn't mad at her, angry at himself.

He felt like a fool for trying to talk to her and then losing to her. He began to look through the letters until something caught his eye... It had 'Watts' written in neat cursive letters on the front. He slid his thumb against it and opened the letter to see writing.

Watts,
I don't doubt that you're not very happy with me at the moment and I don't doubt that you debating if you should even read this letter. My no-show wasn't the most mature move and understand that but I would like to explain why I didn't turn up. I'm afraid that whenever we are together things will always happen and you will always be hurt by my actions.

I fear that whenever our paths cross we are bound to fall in love all over again and I don't think that would be the smartest move after everything I've done, this included. I will not be asking you for your forgiveness but only my voice repeating everything I've written in your head while you read.

I wish you only the best, Watts and I would like to add. I never meant in any way shape or form to hurt you.

L̶o̶v̶e̶ F̶r̶o̶m̶
From,
Jen

Benny thought for a long moment, staring at the letter before turning it over slowly.

From room 76,

To room 112,

Jennifer sat in her room, staring at a chess board that only pained her mind. She had been staring at it for so long everything just looked the same. She ran a hand through her messy wet hair after her shower trying to refresh her mind. She squeezed her eyes shut for a second before opening them.

She groaned loudly, burying her head into the arms onto the table. She rose her head at the sound of her door being knocked on. She sighed and stood up and went to answer it. "Its do not disturb for a-" She began before she set her eyes on Benny. This was the last person she had expected to see. "Ben-" She started before he kissed her.

She wasn't sure how to feel about it. She was right though, whenever they met or saw each other things were bound to happen. But now this had started, Jennifer didn't feel as though she wanted to end it. "I'm sorry," He breathed as he pulled away.

"Um.." Jennifer said as she straightened herself out.

"I- I didn't-" He began before Jennifer leant forwards. Kissing him again. They stayed like that for a second before they both pulled away. "Are you sure?" He asked, out of breath.

"Mhm," She nodded leaning in again.

***

Benny stumbled through the hotel room, walking slowly unsure of what to expect. Jennifer was missing but she couldn't have got the door open without the key so she had to be somewhere. And he was right, she sat in the kitchen on one side of the island an English breakfast on the opposite end.

He looked at her through his eyebrows. "Eat," She ordered staring at the food.

"...Okay," He said cautiously before sitting down opposing her stern serious face.

"We need to talk," She told him.

"You know I hate that sentence,"

"Too bad," She shot "Look, what happened last night-"

"Let me guess, was a complete mistake, shouldn't have happened. Now we move on and forget just for it to happen all over again?" She looked away sheepishly.

"It wont happen again," She said quietly.

"Face it, Jennifer. It will, and we always will. This is it now. We will always be like this, this had happened time after time stop telling yourself it wont happen again," She went quiet.

"....So what do you suggest we do?"

"What do you mean?"

"To stop it,"

"Have you listened to a word I've said, Jennifer? We cant stop it,"

"But we have to stop it. We cant stay like this forever,"

"Well... who's someone you will never have sex with?" He asked bluntly, she glared at him before answering.

"Most people," She answered

"Well obviously, arent I like the only-"

"Shut up," She scoffed. It was quiet while the two thought. "I'd never have sex with anyone I'm friends with," She blurted.

"So, if we're friends, we won't have sex. The cycle ends,"

"Would that even work?" She asked.

"We'll have to find out, friend,"

"Can we even be friends?"

"We have before haven't we?"

"Yeah but then we ended up dating?"

"Well, I don't think we'd get that far," The two looked at each other for a second while this idea ran through their minds. Friends Benny told himself. Just friends. Friends Jennifer told herself. Thats all. Nothing would happen between them. Benny was right, whatever happened the two would always draw back to each other like the King and Queen on a chess board, always side by side.

The chess game the two of them played just got insanely more interesting. With no 50/50 power over the middle. Something was coming to an end whether that be Jennifer Passed Pawn's life turning suddenly more important, or the end of the game for the both of them who knew? All they did know was whatever they had before was finished, and everything they knew about each other had changed,

Everything between them had changed.