020

She leant against the wall of the hotel, cigar in hand. The cold breeze hit against her side making the flowing sleeves of her dress flail in the wind. She knew she shouldn't of been smoking, this was one of Benny's favourite things to bash on her during any disagreements or arguments. But she loved it, she couldn't quit. It would be disloyal to the cigar brand.

Currently, he was in an annoying mood because earlier today was his first match in the Soviet Union and it was adjourned. He then went on about they're all working together to beat me, I need your help but she refused. Saying she would do it later which was code for 'i won't be doing that' partly because it didn't make sense to her. She didn't even do tournaments let alone help someone else do them and she's never played to Soviet meaning she had no clue what or how he expected her to give any help of any kind.

***

"Your back," Benny said from the bedroom.

"Mhm," she replied pulling open the fridge and grabbing a red apple and burying her teeth into it in a act to try and wash away the cigarette smell it left in her mouth.

"Come here," he continued, she sighed and opened the door to the bedroom turning her head to the side as she saw the bed with a chess board and a bunch of open magazines. With Benny on the edge, running a hand through his hair.

"Hm?" She said back to him with a bored expression.

"Come here," he repeated motioning her to come closer. She sighed once more and stepped towards him gleaming over him and the bed. "Any ideas?" He asked motioning to the board.

"Benny-" she began as she went to walk out before he wrapped his hand around her wrist pulling her back into him. He stood up quickly as to not loose her again and looked down at her. "What?" She asked.

"Can't you see I'm trying?" He groaned leaning his head back.

"Yes I can Benny and really A plus for effort but give it up,"

"Jennifer," he sighed sounding frustrated. "Look, we were both there. We both went through the same experience, but it's been a year..." he trailed looking at her with a gleam in his eyes.

"I don't know what you want me to do," she replied.

"One more time. That's all,"

"Don't you have a match tomorrow you should be preparing for?" She shot,

"Jennifer," he sat down pulling her towards him. He looked up at her while he placed his hand around her waist "Once,"

"Benny," she warned. He took a sharp breathing leaning back on to his elbows. She thought for a second while she looked at him before she stepped away, heading to the other side of the bed. "How about a game?" She asked holding up the Queen. A weak smile came across his lips as the two re arranged the board. She was white.

Pawn to D4. Knight to F6. And the game began.

***

"Mate," she smiled as she took his king from the board. He looked up at her, thinking for a second. Feeling as though for the first time in a long time she wasn't far away but in reality she was right her. Not distancing herself from him. Here.

"Again?" He asked.

"Cant," she replied standing up "Good luck though," he stayed quiet, now he lost her again.

"Will you be coming to my match?" He asked this every time, and every time he got the same answer. She took a deep breath before leaving him in the bedroom alone.

"Your trying to hard,"

"Am I?"

"Yes," Hilton told him "She clearly doesn't care for you anymore, she just waited for you to finally come to your senses and leave her,"

"But you don't get it... the thing was so..."

"So in the past, it was a year ago Benny. A year since you've even acted like a couple. Now I'm not saying you break up for good, maybe just go back to friends then she'll know what she's missing out on,"

"Oh yeah because that worked out so well,"

"Look I'm just trying to give you advice. She can't stay scared forever. Now me and Arthur are going out I'll call you soon,"

"Yeah okay," Benny finished as the phone was hung up. He thought about what Hilton said, maybe he was right, maybe she was waiting for him to leave. She sure as hell acted like it.

He stood up heading out of the room to look for her "Jenny?" He asked before noticing a small paper note against the fridge.

He sighed having no idea when she put this on the fridge or how long she'll be or where she's going or when she'll be back but her knee one thing for certain

They needed to talk.

With everything that Hilton said going straight to his head it was decided.