011

-THE NEXT DAY-

Jennifer came out of Benny's rooms quietly after getting changed. "Hey Benny," She smiled as he turned around. "I didnt know you liked Seventeen," She held up a copy of the magazine with her face on it. He first noticed her hair back in a pony tail behind her head. It was the first time he'd seen her without her hair down. She wore a a flare sleeved white top and a pair of velvet green flares. Only then did it occur to him what was in her hand.

"How'd you find that?" He asked standing up and walking over to her

"It was on your dresser, where you kept the aspirin," She explained as she placed the magazine of the side

"Shit," He whispered quietly. He thought he moved it last night but clearly he hadn't. He bought it not long ago and kept it on his dresser where he kept all his magazines. She walked towards his living room and placed herself on a chair and stared at a pile of books. 

"You have a book?" She asked as she leant forward to grab it. She examined the front cover. It was a picture of him staring at a chess board. He looked different than he did normally. He looked quite, good. 

"I do, care for a copy?" He asked with a smirk as he sat down in front of her. She opened up the book and held back a laugh as her eyes skimmed the first page.

"A young handsome man, taking on the game of chess in his own unique way. Benny Watts United States Chess Champion of 1956 to 1963 and with no sign of stopping," She laughed as she read through the first page. "Who the hell wrote this?" 

"Well if you must know I did," He smiled taking the book from her grasp and flicking through it himself

"Your so obsessed with yourself," She scoffed leaning back

"Who wouldn't be? I'm Benny Watts," He smirked "Hey, look at this," He leant forward opening a page to a layout of a chess match. "Me and your brother, 1957. I only just beat him. See how he moves, you play similarly, the same strategies,"  He explained as he pointing to a chess game written out. Jennifer ran through the game in her head as quick as she could. 

"I was there, you know?" She looked up at him locking into his brown eyes "1957 I watched you beat my brother,"

"Then why did you pretend to not know me when we first spoke?"

"I didnt know you. I didnt just sit and stare at you Benny. I barley even remember that game let alone you,"

"Yeah funny," He spoke sarcastically.

"I would've seen you though," She smiled "Crazy that, I wouldn't of even given you a second glance back then but now look at us,"

"You would've one hundred percent given me a second glance, with hair like mine-"

"With a cow boy hat like that?"

"Hey, that hat is pretty fashionable you know,"

"Oh really?"

"Yes, really. Clearly you wouldn't know,"

"Excuse me,"

"Sorry," He mumbled quietly with a smile on his face.

"Yes, good. You should be,"

***

Jennifer found herself leaning over the toilet for the 2nd time today. This was also a withdrawal from alcohol symptom. She wasn't use to drinking so much water her body was freaking out. Benny was outside leaning against the wall waiting for her "You all right, Jen?" He called from outside. She leant back taking in sharp breaths. She just wanted a beer. She didnt want to tell Benny how badly she craved alcohol, she had persisted this whole time that she could stop drinking whenever and she was not addicted. That was a lie.

"Yeah I- sorry its the-" She spoke her throat hurting slightly.

"Withdrawal symptoms?" He finished for her "Yeah I know," 

"They suck," She smiled weakly. It was quiet for a moment as Jennifer tried to regain her balance

"Hey Jen?" Benny asked a serious feel to his voice.

"What?" She breathed leaning against the door the other side was Benny who was very very very quiet.

"...Can I take you out, tomorrow night?" He asked slowly, cautiously "On a... date?" He finished

"Benny I-"

"I know, Cleo said this and that but....One date that's all, One night," He convinced. This idea played on Jennifer mind for a long minute, she wasn't sure what to do. She wanted to, she knew that. But Cleo had warned her about this. Warned her about feeling like this and allowing it to go any further could end up being very very bad. It felt as though his Knight was threatening her Rook and Bishop and she was unsure which one to save. 

She saves her Rook, and she does what Cleo would want. Her to say no. Or she goes against Cleo and saves her Bishop. Meaning she would say yes. "Sorry Cleo," She whispered to herself quietly

"Hm?" Benny asked turning his ear to the door not hearing what she said and beginning too panic slightly at the thought he might of ruined everything. 

"One date, and after that date we pretend it never happened okay?"

"I know- Wait what?"

"I'm not repeating myself, Watts,"  She smiled against the door. 

"I thought it would take a lot more convincing than that," He breathed. She opened the door to see him leaning against the wall beside her with a cocky smirk on his face. "We're going to Le Bernardin at 8:00 tomorrow night," He explained as he leant up from the wall.

"Lucky piece of shit," She whispered, she could almost imagine Cleo's disappointed face. But to be fair to Jennifer, she was left alone in his house. It was bound to happen and anyways it was only one night what harm could be done?