023

"Good morning, Jennifer," Her assistant smiled as Jennifer walked past.

"Morning," Jennifer replied, removing her sunglasses from her face and sitting down in her office, picking up and moving a pile of papers as she did.

"Jennifer?" A voice came from her door, along with a knock.

"Hm?"

"Someone's here to see you,"

"I'm not due for any meeting?" Jennifer said as she stood up slowly.

"Says their an... old friend,"

"Oh, right. Send them in," and coming through the door was a face she hadn't see in a long time...

"Long time no see," they spoke,

"Cleo," she smiled walking towards her. "I haven't see you in so long,"

"I was back in New York, thought I'd drop by. I was told you were here but this is impressive," Cleo said as she looked around slowly.

"Thank you, took months to get our hands on this,"

"So, your a business woman now?" Cleo smirked.

"I am, own four of the biggest casinos in the world,"

"I'm impressed,"

"So, how have you been?"

"Good, I suppose. Been missing you, I see you a lot less now,"

"Yeah, I've been very busy. But remind me to see you more. You look as beautiful as ever,"

"Could say the same about you, now I'm in town, I left my number with your cute receptionist. Call me," Cleo smiled as she left the room.

Benny was sat in his room, preparing for a chess tournament. Sure it was still the first tournament of the year but he had nothing better to do, he had sat and read the monthly Chess Review but didn't take any in. He had a cigar in his hand, trying desperately to focus.

This was the second time today he had tried to practice but he just... couldn't. He wondered a lot about Jennifer, where she was, what she was doing, who she was with. He understood why she did it but he always thought if she put a bit more effort into it it would've worked.

He felt as though the mental chess game they played against each other unknowingly, hadn't ended yet. Although their relationship had, it felt like their game was still going. Sure she might have captured his Queen knocking him back a bit but his King stood. He just didn't know how much longer he would have to wait for her to make a move, given of course she wanted to make a move.

He groaned loudly as he stood up, he went to his bedroom pulling the bedside drawer out. He rummaged through it quickly looking for his bottle opener before an invitation caught his eye.

It was a wedding invitation to Jennifer, her brother and his soon to be wife

It was a wedding invitation to Jennifer, her brother and his soon to be wife. The wedding wasn't for a few months but she said that Benny was her plus one and Stanley said he would've sent him a personal invite in the way they got along so well but decided Jennifer had that covered.

***

Jennifer sunk into the sofa, taking a long and large sigh and she drank her coke. Just a few months ago she would've sat here with a beer but she couldnt remember the last time she was drunk. The last time she had a beer was a couple of nights ago with some colleges when she bought another casino down in Los Angeles, but she didnt get drunk.

And high? Hadn't happened since the week after the split. She said split, it was break up but she called it a split because the two were so used to each other by that point that not having each other felt as though a part of them had split. Jennifer was fine with watching Benny go, no because she felt nothing towards him anymore because he took all her unhealthy addictions with him.

She began to go through some of her letters with her blank pen in hand. Some where letters from some old friend she got in touch with no long ago, some were postcards from her parents who currently were on a travelling tour around some world highlights. Occasionally, there would be documents that needed her signature which were her favourite as most of them were pay from casinos around the world.

She was going through happily until a card caught her eye, she furrowed her brows at the 'CHESS TOURNAMENT' words on the front. "What?" She whispered as she turned it around seeing the back.

Lady Martinez, this is a reminder that tournaments start next week commencing 2/20/1967. Your presence would be wonderful in honour of Stanly Martinez publicly announcing his chess career ending.

Thank you.

"Oh," She nodded slowly still unsure why her presence was wanted and not someone who was apart of his chess career. She decided that with the business only growing she just wouldn't have time or energy to go and travel the globe for some silly chess tournaments. So she scrunched up the card and chucked it into the bin forgetting about it.

___

FLASHBACK ; 04/11/1966

___

Jennifer opened her eyes slowly, turning over to look up. It was the middle of the night, the lights in the room dim but enough to reveal where her cold full of ice glass of water was, which she had been drinking throughout the night. She saw Benny still in bed, his eyes shut and breathing heavily. She took a drink of the water and forcing it down her throat to try and fix her pounding headache and hot body.

It did nothing but leave her leant against the bathroom wall, inches from the toilet. This was the second time that night alone she had been sick. This had been going on for weeks. What the hell was wrong with her. "Jen?" She heard Benny from the bedroom.

"I'm fine," She replied standing up slowly.

"Jen?" He repeated as he appeared in the bathroom doorway.

"Hm?"

"Again?" He asked looking down at the toilet then back at her.

"Yeah I- I'm fine," She replied, her voice shaky.

"Jennifer..." He trailed looking at her.

"I know, I know," She rested her head against the bathroom wall, the coldness soothing her headache slightly.

"Its not right. This isn't natural,"

"We aren't jumping to any conclusions,"