005

"Benny," Jennifer breathed

"Jennifer," he smiled at her holding the door

"I... I underestimated the traffic... by quiet a lot," she lied. She didn't want to tell Benny that she actually nearly crashed into a car. Didn't seam like a great conversation starter. "I'm sorry, I was late,"

"Its fine. Can I just?" He stepped towards her  and she took a step back, he closed the door slightly behind him. "Look my friends, they could across as a bit weird you know?" He explained. Jennifer furrowed her eyebrows slightly but smiled

"Benny, dont stress. Its fine," She shrugged

"Just, I promise their nice," He re opened the door, letting them both in.

"Hello everyone. I'm Jennifer, Benny's... friend," She smiled as she addressed his friends. Arthur and Walter she had met the night before. She assumed the girl with short black hair and black eyeliner was Cleo. She was beautiful. One of the prettiest people Jennifer has ever seen. Jennifer pulled her coat off and hung it over a banister and she walked down a couple of steps before she arrived at the group.

"Jennifer, its nice to officially meet you," Walter smiled standing up to hug her. She hugged him back, making Benny roll his eyes.

"You wanna just sit there," He pointed to the end of a sofa.

"Yeah, thanks," She smiled sitting down. Benny shot Walter a glare before sitting down, he assumed Jennifer was touched a lot by men that she didnt want to be touched by. He didnt want one of his friends to be one of them. Benny sat down on the other end of the sofa. "Its Cleo right?" She looked up at the beautiful woman

"Indeed," She nodded her French accent obvious to Jennifer

"Your very beautiful,"

"I'm a model," She explained "You very beautiful too,"

"Thank you," Jennifer looked at the table in front of them. Full of chess pieces.

"We were in the middle of a game," Benny explained leaning forward "Would you like to play?" He asked a sense of desperation in his eyes but not enough to make it seam as though he would beg. Jennifer turned her head to the side thinking.

"...sure," She answered as she stood up to sit at the other end of the board.

"I'll be black," He rose next to her.

"You sure?"

"Yes, sit down,"

"Do you play?" Jennifer asked Cleo

"Me? No. I dont understand it," She shrugged. Jennifer only nodded and rearranged the board.

"Lets say... five dollars," Benny looked up at Jennifer through his eyebrows

"Well if we're making bets. I bet on Jenny," Cleo chirped. Jennifer held her gaze on Benny, studying his features.

"I bet Benny," Walter added. Arthur was quiet for a second looking between the two before answering

"Jennifer," He finished. The game began. Jennifer wanted to win, this was the first time she's played chess and wanted to win, wanted to beat Benny. She enjoyed it, predicting his moves and defending her pieces or attacking his. Watching his eyebrows furrow in confusion when she was setting up attacks that he didnt notice until it was too late.

Benny looking at the board his mouth slightly open as he dug into his pocket bringing out a five dollar bill. He turned his head to the side almost surprised

"Again?" She asked looking at him. He glanced at her and board before they went for round two. That turned into round eight and Benny had won twice. Jennifer six.

"Again?" Benny asked

"No," She replied

"Why?" He asked "Scared you might loose?"

"Not at all. I would rather watch then play," She shrugged.

"Walter?" He turned to his friend. Walter jumped forward ready for a match.

***

"It very interesting how you play you know?"  Benny leant back against the wall breathing out smoke

"How come?" Jennifer turned her head to the side leaning it against the wall looking at his side profile. They were outside having a cigar. Jennifer refused to smoke indoors his home and Benny refused to let her outside by herself so they were outside together. Watching cars drive past and their headlights fade away. The twinkling lights of New York lighting up the sky. It was so pretty.

"Well you start of, doing anything to remove as many of my pawns and pieces as possible until you run out of pawns. Then you sacrifice Knights and Rook like you have hundreds instead of two. Its a risky way of doing it, but you do it well," He explained turning to her breathing in his cigar.

"Well you did beat me twice,"

"Twice, they were the two times that you didnt do you method of whipping out my pawns,"

"I guess so," She shrugged turning back to the road. "I should head home," She spoke leaning off the wall as she put her lit cigar onto the side of her thumb putting it out. She felt it burn her skin, like it has done many times

"Did you just out that out of your hand?" Benny asked stepping in front of her

"Yeah, you want me to put yours out too?"

"No, I- why? The wall is right there," He rubbed his cigar against the wall before turning back to her. "Your a lot different to when your on stage you know," He explained as they walked down towards his house. It was the basement to another house, pretty big and clean but had three rooms, one his bedroom, a bathroom and the big large one that took up the rest of his apartment. She assumed US World Champion might have a better place to live but no.

"Is that a bad thing?" She asked as she followed him down the stairs. He stopped on one and looked up at her thinking

"No," He replied as he started walking again "I prefer this Jennifer,"

"Yeah, join the club," She added as he let them back in. "I'm gonna head home," She announced walking towards Cleo her arms wide.

"No," Cleo complained with a smile hugging Jennifer "Here, my number. Keep in touch," She handed Jennifer a post-stick note with her number on it

"I will. It was nice meeting you. Walter and Arthur," She addressed the men before turning around to see Benny. "I have a feeling we're going to be good friends, Benny Watts," She looked at him

"I hope so, Jen," He abbreviated her name as she left with a smile on her face. Jen she repeated to herself as she hopped into her car taking her pill before she drove this time.