Ruining Your Life

So, maybe the Xanax had worked a little too well; kicked in a little too soon.

Her friends had rushed to her side, and she hadn't moved from where she lay on the floor.

"Is she okay?" Cara asked, voice hushed.

"I - I don't know," Ravi said quietly, tears brimming, because this had happened before, and he was the only one there to see it.

That night was a long one, for Ravi and for Pip.

She had taken a Xanax for the first time in a long time.

He hadn't realized, and she had passed out in front of him.

She had gotten a concussion, and she promised she would stop taking those things.

They're ruining your life, Pip! Don't you see that?

I need to sleep, Ravi. I'm so exhausted. I know they're ruining my life, Ravi; it's my life.

Pip, please, just try. I hate seeing you like this, so fucking much.

I know, Ravi. I'm...okay, I'm sorry. I'll try. I promise.

I love you.

I love you too.

Ravi wiped his eyes. Part of him wanted to drop to his knees and scream into the world; ask it why. But the other part of him wanted to drop to his knees and hold her, kiss her, tell her she was okay.

He lifted her, her body limp as he held her against his chest. "You guys just keep getting ready for bed. I'll take care of her. She'll be okay in the morning."

He hoped so, at least.

He laid her in her bed, and he sat there with her, petting her hair.

"Please be okay," he whispered to her and to the innocent girl he'd first met.

She shifted, and he sighed, holding her close to him, because he wasn't ready to lose her.

Pip was doing good.

Well, that's what she told her friends, her family, her fiancé.

It was summer, now; three months had gone by since she'd passed out. Since she'd taken that Xanax.

She was still living in her dorm for the summer, and since Luna was back in her hometown, that meant Pip had the apartment to herself.

With Ravi, more importantly.

Ravi was staying with her again, mostly; going for early morning walks with her, holding her when she needed it most, sharing a bowl of popcorn while watching a movie.

Most importantly, though: wedding planning.

They were in the final phase of that, one week away from their big day. Pip dreamed about it, day and night, letting it push away those other things that haunted her.

Like the fact that she was still being threatened. Three months later, more and more threats, but by now, they were empty threats and she knew that.

Over and over, it was an I know what you did. I know what you did, and I'm going to prove it.

She had given up caring. The verdict had been made, the conviction wouldn't be overturned. No proof, no evidence.

No body, no crime.

Pip pulled herself out of her thoughts as she opened the door of her dorm, shutting it behind her with her foot.

Her arms were heavy with two plastic bags, chock-full of food for the rest of the week.

"Hey," she called to the room, putting her bags on the counter.

"Hey, Sarge!" He called back, running out of her bedroom and pulling her close, lifting her off her feet and pressing a soft kiss to her softer lips.

He spun her as he lifted her, holding her close for a moment when he put her down.

"What was that about?"

"We're getting married in a week. I love you." He shrugged, moving around the counter and reaching into one off the grocery bags.

He helped her put away the groceries, which took much longer than it needed to; he paused her as she stood at the counter, wrapping his arms around her from behind and pressing gentle kisses to her neck.

She giggled, a glowing feeling in her chest as she craned her neck to look at him. "Let me put the food away, Ravi."

"Mm, no,"

"Mm, yes." She mocked, pushing him off her with a laugh, shifting away from him as they continued to rifle through the last bag and put their food away.

When done with that, they collapsed onto the couch together with a shared sigh and a laugh.

Pip shifted, resting her head on Ravi's lap and looking up at him with lovestruck eyes.

She reached up and stroked his cheek, he reached down and stroked her hair.

"I love you," they said in sync, leaning together to share a kiss.

"Hey, you," he said. "How about you show me that dress?"

"How about you be patient and wait for a week?"

"But it's so hard," he groaned, dragging out the word.

"That's okay; things are hard sometimes, hon."

He chuckled, hiding it under a scoff. "I would know."

"Ew, Ravi."

"Don't act like -"

"Shush!"

There was a moment between them of staring into each others eyes before laughter flooded the room, bubbling in their chests as she fell back onto his lap, hand hiding her face.

"Oh, I forgot, you got mail today in that little thing you have on the door." Ravi told her when they calmed down, breathing steadied.

"Hm," she nodded, sitting up. "Did you see who left it?"

"No, they didn't knock or anything."

"Oh, must be a love letter from my secret lover," she said dramatically as she stood, craning her neck to smile at him as she walked into her bedroom and lifted the envelope.

"Right, let's see," she said, humming to herself as she tore it open, pulling the piece of paper out smoothly.

Ravi followed, leaning on her shoulder as she unfolded it.

She sighed at the first sliver of red marker. "God, I'm tired of these. Somebody must be messing with me, because it's only been this for three months. If they knew what I did, they would actually threaten to do something about it. They'd tell me what I did."

"It's nothing." Ravi agreed with a nod and a shrug. "Let it go; if something comes of it, I'll be here, 'kay?"

She nodded. "Yeah, okay,"

"Hey, hey, I love you."

"I love you too! I'm okay, Ravi, don't worry about it."

"Okay, I'm not worrying."

"You're totally worrying."

"Psh, as if. I don't worry, who worries? That's so 2014."

"Did you just -"

"Yes, that was a reference to what happened to Andie and Sal. I need to cope, too."

"I know."

They smiled at each other, crooked and not, a shared dimple, full lips and glossed lips, soulmates with stories chained together for miles.