Chapter 9

Tomorrow will be the day that decides the boys' fates here at Bluelock——they're going to play against Team V, the highest ranked players they've had to face so far. I lay on my futon, completely unable to sleep——between the big game coming up and the eventful time I had with Bachira in the practice area, my brain is forcing me to stay wide awake. At first, most of the other guys had trouble drifting off as well, but after a couple hours or so, they managed to do so, and now I'm awake by myself as a result. Although, Chigiri is missing from his spot.

I wonder what he's doing?

Curious, having completely given up on going to sleep, I slip out of Team Z's room to find the red-head sitting upright against the wall, gripping his leg. When he sees me, he smiles gently, his tired eyes blinking slowly.

"Hey," he greets, his voice quiet, "Why are you still up?"

I take a seat beside him and sigh.

"I could ask you the same..."

I raise my eyebrows, urging him to confide in me.

"I guess——I've just been feeling kind of anxious," he murmurs slowly, "About my leg, and about whether or not we'll win tomorrow."

I rest a gentle hand on his shoulder, thinking of what I could possibly say to console him. All of his fears are valid, without a doubt.

"I believe in you, Chigiri," I say after a bit of silence, "And I'll always support you, no matter what happens. It's going to be okay."
He stares at me blankly, but then I notice relief seep into his gaze.

"I needed that," he admits, placing a hand against his forehead, "Thanks, Y/N."

I run a hand through his long, red hair, unable to resist its soft touch.

"I usually don't let people play in it," he states, "But go ahead."

I smile softly to myself, enjoying the special treatment.

"You're pretty," I tell him boldly, probably not thinking straight because I'm only half-awake and exhausted.

I notice his cheeks flush a deep pink color as he looks bashfully at the ground.

"Thanks," he whispers almost inaudibly.

He's so cute when he gets shy.

"You should go to sleep," I suggest after a little while of gently stroking his cherry hair, "You'll need the energy tomorrow."
He shrugs.

"I'm too lazy to get up right now," he chuckles, "I guess I'll just have to go to sleep right here."

He leans his head back against the wall, closing his eyes as a soft beam forms on his face.

Damn it... he's so gorgeous...

I observe tentatively as his face begins to relax and he nods off for a while, until he manages to at last fall asleep, breathing a bit heavier than he had been when he was still awake. I grin happily at the beautiful sight.

Not wanting to leave him all by himself in the hallway, I join him in attempting to sleep outside of the room and shut my eyes.

I find myself drifting off, but then I awaken to the touch of something fairly heavy falling upon my shoulder. I open my eyes to see that Chigiri's now laying on top of me, his head resting gently upon me.

A warm sensation caresses my body at the feeling.

So gentle... and comfortable.

Feeling even more content and calm than before, I rest my own head on top of Chigiri's so we're even nearer to one another.

The loving emotions buzzing throughout my chest, along with the sound of his breathing and the warmth emulating from his body sends me to sleep so quickly that I barely have the time to so much as close my eyes.

———

In the morning, I begin to come around as the sound of an obnoxious voice fills my ears. At first, I'm really delirious but then I slowly slip back into consciousness as Raichi's grinning face comes into view.

"Ha!" He yells, pointing toward me... and Chigiri——

Wait! That's right! I slept outside of the room, and was using Chigiri like a pillow. Even now, my head is resting on top of his...

"Hey, Isagi, Bachira! Come see this!"
Terror practically fills every inch of my body when an adorable, half-awake Isagi slips out of the room, followed by his teammate, whose bangs are tied up in a cute way.

"What is it, Raichi?" Isagi asks, yawning, "Why did you——"
He stops speaking abruptly as he follows the direction in which Raichi's finger is pointing and finds me and Chigiri at the other end of it. I smile bashfully, seeing as the red head is still in the process of waking up, laying on top of me, one of his arms wrapped around my shoulders, holding me close.

"Your girl is clearly interested in someone who isn't either one of you two!" Raichi continues, a proud expression on his face.

Damn him... I'm not ashamed to be cuddled up next to Chigiri, but why did he have to throw it in their faces?

I notice a hint of sadness flash across Isagi's eyes momentarily, but then he simply smiles.
"It's not really any of my business who Y/N likes," he says, and for some reason his words make my heart warm.

He really respects me as a person, caring more about my feelings than his own. Selflessness is a huge part of genuinely being devoted to someone.

Chigiri begins to stir before lifting his head from my shoulder and glancing up at the three boys hovering over us.

"It must be morning," he comments, "Hey, everyone."

Isagi nods and offers him a hand, which he accepts, helping him to his feet.

Bachira simply chuckles as I stand up with his help.

"Silly Y/N," he giggles, "Sleeping in the hallway like that."
I wonder if the smile on his face is real or just a mirage?

"We were so tired that we didn't even have the energy to go back into the room," Chigiri explains, his voice raspy from having just awoken, "And I, for one, slept the best I have in a long time."
I swallow hard as he relays this, genuinely hoping that I was the reason behind his peaceful slumber.

"Glad to hear it," Isagi says with a small beam, "But, now, we need those legs of yours, Chigiri. The game's soon, remember? We'd better start getting ready."

As the three boys nod in agreement and return to the room, Raichi hangs back, a shocked look on his sly face.

"You've got to be kidding me!" He exclaims, "They weren't mad at all?!"
I frown at him.

"No, you troublemaker. They're all mature enough to let me follow my heart without disrespecting me or trying to sabotage my feelings."
Raichi raises an eyebrow.

"Well, make up your damn mind!" He practically screams, "It makes me sick watching them fawn over you all goddamn day! Just pick one and be done with it, asshat!"
Raichi storms back into the room.

"Asshat? He's the only asshat here," I grumble to myself.