Introduction

"Your jobs are very important."
A shadowy man with heavy bangs and shiny glasses utters this as he stands in front of me and twenty-four other people of various genders and ages.

"From now on, all twenty-five of you will be assigned to different teams, and will be their team manager, basically," Ego continues, in his mysterious tone of voice, "The very first elimination has just finished, and so, your job as team manager will be needed shortly. It doesn't require much——just make sure the boys stick to their schedules. You're nothing short of a confidence booster for them. You will, inevitably, add to their egos and make them even more driven, creating an even more spectacular version of Blue Lock than the one currently underway. So, play your parts well. These ever-evolving creatures are my diamonds in the rough, after all."

——

I sigh heavily as I walk into the room I'm supposed to be managing, although no one seems to be here at the moment, so I just take a seat in the corner.

Everyone must be at lunch right now. Ugh——why did I have to get roped into this? That's right——I need the extra money for college. I am in my senior year, after all.

I rest my head against the wall, losing myself in thought for what feels like the better half of thirty minutes before the door to the room finally opens, and I abruptly stand up, a bit anxious to meet the boys I'll be staying beside for the entirety of the first selection.

As the eleven players make their way through the door, I find myself swallowing down my nerves. This could turn out to be a bit more awkward than I thought——after all, I'm the only girl here, surrounded by eleven young males. What could possibly go wrong?

The boy at the front of the pack, who has a handsome face and blue eyes that clash with his black hair, stops dead in his tracks when he notices me. I wave awkwardly, before approaching all of them cautiously.

"Who are you?" He asks softly, tilting his head to the side.

He's a cutie.

"My name's Y/N L/N," I respond professionally, "And I was sent by Ego to become your team manager. From now on, both your well-beings and schedules will be my responsibility."

I place my hands on both of my hips, as though I'm the boss.

"Why did Ego ask a girl to do it?!" A blonde-haired boy with shark-like teeth yells loudly, "Is he some kind of pervert or something?"
A vein nearly pops out of my forehead. I can already tell I'm going to have my hands full with this one.

"All of the teams were assigned a team manager, damn it, and not all of us are girls! I just happen to be the one chosen to look after your team, so you'd better get with the program!"
The angry guy bares his teeth at me, and I can tell he's ready to retaliate, but a different boy speaks up this time.

"Well, I, for one, think it's cool you're a girl. I'm really close with my mom, so I love women!"
Normally, I would think such a comment is a bit strange. But, the smile on this boy's face makes me feel as though he really means it. He's pretty——black hair with golden under-lights and eyes to match, like a honeybee.

Another cutie.

"Welcome to the team," the blue-eyed boy from before greets, reaching out a hand, which I shake.

"Glad to be here," I state with a smile.

Maybe this won't be so terrible after all.

———

I spend the next few hours memorizing all of the boys' names and their future schedules. Ego also ends up announcing their first match, which will be against Team X. Some of them seem nervous about it, while others are fired up. Although, I've been focused on one thing for quite a while though, or rather, one person. The gorgeous red-haired boy in the corner of the room. Chigiri is his name. He's been almost completely silent, even while the others have been talking about numerous things. He seems sad, and scared. But that long, beautiful hair——it's calling my name. And so, I take the initiative and approach him, albeit unsure of what sort of response I'll receive.

"Hey," I say softly, the sound of my voice ripping him from his daze, "Why are you all alone? Are you okay?"

I scratch my head awkwardly as he pulls his knees closer into his chest, as though he's hiding.

"I'm fine," he whispers back, "No need to worry about me."
Unsure of what else to say, I simply take a seat next to him and remain silent. He glances sideways at me and I feel myself become nervous all of a sudden.

He's so pretty. Definitely one more cutie on the team.

Chigiri simply buries his face between his knees, so his face is completely shielded from view.

"You can go away now," he mutters, "I'm fine. There's nothing anyone can say to me at this point."

What does that mean?

I frown——he's undoubtedly depressed about something, I just don't know what it could be. Maybe he doesn't want to be here, or he's just scared of what the match with Team X will be like.

"Alright," I sigh, standing up from my position beside him, "Let me know if you ever need to talk, though. That's what I'm here for."I toss him a smile when he gazes upward at me for a split second, but he just looks to the side, his face downcast as usual.