Chapter 6

I stand in the private room reserved for the team managers and bounce my leg up and down anxiously as I wait for the game to begin. The anticipation is killing me. They have to at least tie this match, otherwise they'll be done for.

But then, the game starts and time passes in what seems like a blur. And although the game is a close one, Team Z is behind by a point thanks to the traitorous actions of one of their teammates, Kuon, who evidently decided that helping the other team for his own selfish desires was a good choice.

Asshole. He's on my shit list for life.

But then, the match goes into additional time.

It's now or never boys, you can do it!
I gasp as Isagi's face becomes filled with determination, as though he's turned into an entirely new person. At one point, he even shoves Chigiri out of the way to get to the ball. The latter doesn't seem to be happy about this, and I see him scoff. But then, much to my surprise, a tense moment passes before the red-head abandons his position on defense and instead begins to sprint down the field. My eyes widen with shock.

He's so fast–—the fastest player I've seen so far! He's soaring past everyone! Why would he hide this from all of us?
He steals the ball from the enemy and sprints toward the goal, like nothing can stop him. And then, for the first time since coming to Bluelock, he scores just before the timer runs out. Even though I'm still annoyed at him, I can't help but grin as he jumps victoriously into the air, and then the impossible happens——he smiles.

He's got a pretty smile...

I shake my head, refusing to get trapped under his spell. He was such an asshole to me and I refuse to accept that kind of treatment.

———

After the game, Isagi sprints up to me and practically leaps into my arms, a hand resting gently behind my head as he holds me close.

"We did it!" He exclaims, "We're still in this!"
I melt under Isagi's touch and close my eyes, reveling in his sweet embrace.

"I knew you would succeed," I whisper, "Because you're incredible."

Although, he's still so sweaty, seeing as he hasn't washed off after the game yet.

"Sorry," he remarks guiltily, "I need a bath badly. I just couldn't contain my happiness when I saw you!"
I chuckle.

"It's alright," I assure him, "I could use a bath myself. I'll see you afterward!"

———

As I go to enter the washroom, I'm greeted by thick steam that clouds my vision.

Damn... I can hardly see.

Thankfully, however, I make my way into the public bathroom and begin to put my things into a locker inside so I can wash off and then get into the hot water. It will feel so good after the long, eventful day I had.

"Y/N?"

A low voice from behind startles me.

Wait... that was a guy's voice! Shit! I must've gone into the wrong washroom because I couldn't see through that thick smoke!
I turn around slowly and my eyes widen in horror as all of the guys from Team Z stand in front of me, shirtless. Thankfully, they all have bottoms on, otherwise I would literally pass out from humiliation.

"What are you doing in here?" Isagi asks, tilting his head to the side.

"I went into the wrong bathroom!" I explain frantically, "It was so steamy outside that I couldn't tell where I was walking!"