Chapter 8

Later that night I lay huddled up to Caleb’s warm body, tired and eyes barely open but deeply contended.

A lot of work piled up and I am afraid I wont be able to accompany you tomorrow, he grimly stated just when I thought he had fallen asleep.

Alpha-duties?

Yes.

Anything I could help you with?

I appreciate the offer but I am afraid no – at least not with your current knowledge. But I was thinking maybe you would like to spend the day with my mother in kindergarten. You could learn a lot from the children about our pack and our lifestyle and I am sure they will love getting to know their new Luna before everyone else. I already asked my mother and she would be happy to take you along.

Sounds like a good plan.

Really?

Why do you sound so surprised?

You being cooperative just like that hasn’t exactly been the norm up until now, he dryly noted.

We made a deal to give this – us – a serious try, I reminded him, and I don’t take my promises lightly! We are a team now, so unless you demand something unreasonable of me, I wont cross you.

Good thing I am such a reasonable person then.

Yup, snapping at your mother for hugging me was definitely super reasonable!, I teased.

Caleb playfully bit into my ear.

Ungrateful woman!

Hey, I only have your best interest in mind!, I giggled. You are showing some severe signs of delusion of grandeur, Mr. Alpha, so it’s about time someone brings you back down to earth!

How very selfless of you to take on this challenging task, he acted along.

I know, right? You truly are a lucky man!

Caleb pressed me closer to him and brushed a soft kiss on my forehead.

I am, he agreed, his voice suddenly heavy with emotion. I am.

The alarm clock went off at six. I felt Caleb reach for the nightstand and the ungodly sound was silenced.

Time to wake up, sleepyhead!

I responded with a mumbled sound of disapproval. I was not a morning person and before my first coffee, I was barely functioning.

Give me ten minutes. No, better make it twenty.

He brushed a kiss to the tousled mess that was my hair before leaving the bed.

I have faith in you, Ill go with ten.

I heard the rustle of clothes and the splashing of water, then he went downstairs. Minutes later the enticing smell of coffee hit my nose. Too drowsy to decently dress yet I went for Caleb’s shirt again. When I entered the open kitchen, he had already set the table and a steaming mug waited for me, together with a plate of toast, bacon, and egg.