Chapter 7

We walked back hand in hand as we had before.

Take two. And action.

As we entered, we were greeted by frosty silence and curious stares. Caleb ignored the tense atmosphere and simply escorted me back to my place.

This is horrible! Shouldn’t we say something?, I thought, hoping Caleb would catch it since he hadn’t taught me yet how I could deliberately talk to him mind to mind.

We probably should, he agreed. Any ideas?

Ill give it a shot, I offered. Can’t get any worse than it already is now, can it?

“Uhm … How about we just forget what happened and start this over?”, I suggested. I playfully cleared my throat. “Hello, I am Gemma. Nice to meet you. Until recently I lived in New York and worked as a model. Three weeks ago I stumbled over this sexy guy here.”

I leaned over and linked my arm with Caleb’s which earned me one of his rare small smiles.

“Now I am trying to get my head around the fact that werewolves are real and not only am I one myself but mated to an Alpha on top of that.”

Now someone keep the conversation going – please!, I prayed.

“Guess Rou and me are old news now”, Liam laughed.

Yes, Mission accomplished!

“A former human model as a mate? Seriously, Caleb? You just have to top the bill any chance you get, don’t you?”

“Rou comes from a pack in China and when she met Liam both couldn’t speak the language of the other”, Caleb filled me in. “That led to some … quite interesting situations.”

“Guess from now on we are responsible for the interesting situations”, I grinned.

“Let’s be warned: You’ll have an outstanding legacy to prove worthy of”, Liam jokingly replied.

“We will not disappoint you, master!”

I put my hands together like martial artists did before a fight and slightly bowed. Caleb rolled his eyes at our silly behavior.

“Let’s eat before it gets cold”, he said, setting a good example by loading his fork with salad and taking a big bite. Everyone else happily followed suit, now that the mood had taken a turn for the better.

Can I explore a little?, Lucy wondered.

Explore?

Smell, she specified. It’s a big part of how a wolf orientates himself, and this is a new house and new wolves.

Although Caleb had taught me in the first days of my captivity how to blind out my senses myself and turn them on whenever I wanted, I found it easier to leave that to my wolf. Lucy had agreed to take on that task without complaint, so whenever I was in need of any wolf-powers she would handle it in my stead.

Uhm … Yeah, sure, go ahead.

I was still afraid of that wolf-part inside of me, but so far Lucy had always respected my wishes and never worked against me or taken control of her own account before consulting me first. Building trust needed time after all, but we were getting there.