Chapter 25

Busy?, Caleb mocked.

I was currently pondering over a decision of highest importance: should I put my three-quarter sleeved blouses together with my summer or my autumn clothing?

It was merely four hours after the meeting and the waiting was already driving me crazy. Going to Neil’s wasn’t an option, because it would mean I had to talk to people. Considering the recent events, it was a no brainer where the conversation would eventually be headed. With their sensitive wolf-senses I wouldn’t be able to hide how strong I felt about helping Alpha Lucas’ pack – in contrast to my mate who had mastered the skill of hiding his emotions to a T. In conclusion, I was stuck in the house until the vote. To occupy me, I had started to organize my walk-in closet, something I had been putting off for months now.

Very. But since it’s you, I’ll make an exception and grant you a minute of my precious time.

How magnanimous of you. I promise you won’t regret it. I have a present for you.

A present? I was intrigued.

It’s already waiting for you on the doorstep.

I reached out to Lucy to stretch out my senses, but to my surprise she refused.

Walk down and figure it out for yourself, she said, her eyes glimmering mischievously.

Traitor, I muttered but obeyed.

I stormed down the stairs and opened the door, expecting to find a small box on the other side or something of the sort. What I did find though was a group of people.

“Gemma, you did it!”

Before I could fully assess the situation, two small arms engulfed me in a tight hug. Gaby looked up at me with a bright smile on her face, her deep blue eyes sparkling with pure happiness. She was accompanied by her parents, Yuri, Caleb and the two Betas Elijah and Gabe.

“What …?”

"Don’t you want to invite our guests in?", Caleb asked amused when I just continued to stand there, mouth hanging open to ask a million questions, yet no sound would leave my lips.

When ...? How ...? Why ...?

Even my mind was blank. All I could do was to silently step aside. My mate was the first to enter, leaning in to brush a soft kiss to my temple as he strode past me.

You are cute when you are at a loss for words.

As the others followed his example, I realized I had never welcomed guests in my new home before and I was glad this sad record was about to be broken.

For the next Sunday dinner lets invite everyone to our house.

Let’s do that.

I could feel how happy he was about this simple concession of mine; happy I was taking yet another small step towards accepting our relationship. There was still a long path ahead of us, a lot of hurdles to overcome. But we were finally on the right track, and that was all that mattered.

We gathered at the kitchen island, two carafes of self-made lemonade on the counter and some cookies for the children.

"As soon as we returned from the gathering, the whole pack went straight to the courthouse to cast their vote ", Caleb started to explain. "They said they saw no need to think everything over. They made their decision and they would stick to it."