Chapter 4

Lucy made my wolf-body stop dead in its tracks.

What are you doing? We had a head start, we can still make it!, I asked, all panic.

Lucy didn’t move.

He is much faster than me and he can literally smell us out.

Well … Then we fight him!

Lucy didn’t comment on that, she didn’t have to. I knew she was right: We were screwed either way, so our best shot was to surrender and hope for the best.

Only seconds later a big black wolf broke through the trees and landed right in front of us. His body was tense, his tail held high and his ears taut and tightly held forward. He aggressively bared his teeth and furiously growled at us, his eyes pitch black and gleaming with pure rage. Lucy let out a weak whimper, submissively lowered her tail and head in response and flattened her ears.

Caleb’s wolf came closer until he was right in front of us. He let out a raving roar that made me want to crouch down even more. Would he attack me? Would he bite me again?

My heart sank to my paws as I felt Lucy drawing back.

No, don’t go! Please, Lucy, I need you!, I begged.

I couldn’t shift back, not now!

It’s what he wants, and he is the Alpha. I can’t go against him. I am sorry, Gemma.

No! Lucy, please! …, I panicked. What do you mean? What is an Alpha? Lucy …?

But she was already gone, replaced by the familiar pain that came with my body transforming back into its human form until once again I lay naked on the ground. Shivering, I set myself upright, desperately trying to cover as much of myself as I could with my hands while angrily glaring at the monster in front of me. Caleb’s wolf, still growling, indicated with a nod of his head that he wanted me to walk to his house. I considered to refuse, but he would probably drag me back there no matter what, and I couldn’t bear him touching me right now. So I swallowed my pride, heaved myself up on my feet and did what he demanded. Never before had I been so thankful for my long hair that at least gave me the illusion of being covered to a minimum.

When we had made it back to the house the sun was already setting. The distance Lucy had managed in mere minutes had taken my human body hours. As soon as we reached the front door Caleb finally shifted back as well. I didn’t see it since I refused to look at him but I could hear two feet following me now instead of four paws. He silently followed me down to the basement into my cell where I finally had to face him.

A terrified gasp escaped my lips and I instinctively stumbled a few steps backward. Even though Caleb stood there in all his naked glory there was nothing human about him. His orbs were still pitch black and mercilessly staring me down, his features soulless and cold, his body tense and ready to strike any second. He was a predator and I was his prey, and now he had me exactly where he wanted me.

Caleb reached out to violently grab my wrists and before I could even start to comprehend what he was planning he bound them together with a thick rope he must have gotten from the adjoined storage room. When I realized what was happening my survival instincts kicked in and I vigorously tried to get out of his grip, screamed, tried to kick and bite him but he kept me at bay with ease, almost as if he didn’t even notice my struggle. Considering he towered over me being almost two heads bigger and weighing probably three times as much as me, that didn’t really come as a huge surprise though.

When he was done, he forced me back until I was pressed against the wall, pinned my bound wrists above my head and secured the end of the rope through an iron ring that was embedded in the concrete. The rope painfully cut into my flesh as I tried to free myself, but it was hopeless. I simply wasn’t strong enough and the rope to thick.