Chapter 3

After what to me seemed like endless hours I finally shifted back. Caleb had kept his promise, but that was probably just due to the fact that my wolf was as exhausted from the transformation as I was. Nevertheless, my wolf managed to get up from the bed and for the first time walked a few steps. It was weird having the weight of your body translocated and being only able to walk on all fours. My wolf didn't last long tough before he collapsed onto the floor. Heavily gasping he lay there and enjoyed having Caleb stroke his head and back while whispering comforting words.

Since my nightgown had been ripped to pieces when I shifted, I was completely naked now. I desperately wanted to cover myself with my arms but I couldn't move. Even breathing felt like a mammoth task. I hated being so utterly helpless. I didn't want Caleb to see me like this, didn't want to give him more power over me than he already had.

 He calmly walked up to me and put a blanket over my body before he picked me up and carried me back to the bed. He didn't exploit the situation and I was grateful for that, but he couldn't hide the lust that lingered in his gaze. How long would he be able to contain himself?

The scent of wood, grass and nature suddenly hit my nose, pared with the acidic smell of sweat and urine. I gulped in hopes of suppressing the need to choke but the smell was simply too much for me to take.

Sharpened senses. Caleb had warned me.

"...vomit...", I rasped.

Caleb understood and quickly positioned me on the edge of the bed, laying me on the side so I would be in no danger of choking myself while letting it all out. He also held my hair back for me.

"The smell?", he asked.

I nodded.

"Try to concentrate on the more pleasant ones", he recommended. "Saying them out loud sometimes helps focusing."

 "I ... I can smell wood and nature ... and I ... I think I can smell remnants of the ... of the daisies on the food tray", I hesitantly followed his advice. "I can smell food: Potatoes and Marmalade and mushrooms ... and I smell lavender and rosemary ..."

It worked. The more I concentrated on the nice scents, the more my stomach relaxed.

"I am good now", I said after a couple more minutes.

"Do you want to take a bath?", Caleb offered.

I wanted nothing more. I knew the smell of sweat and urine had originated from me while Caleb smelled fresh like a goddamn meadow – how he could put up with my scent and not even so much as wrinkle his nose was a mystery to me! Taking a bath would also finally get me out of this stupid basement.

"I would love to."

Caleb opened the thick metal door to my prison and then returned to my site. He wanted to help me up but I pushed his hands away and got up on my own. I took three wobbly steps before my legs gave out and Caleb swept me back up into his arms. I angrily glared at him but kept my mouth shut. He didn't go all smartass on me but instead kept his features blank like most of the times which meant there was nothing for me to fight back, and unfortunately, I knew without his help I wouldn't get anywhere right now.

The rest of the basement consisted of a huge storage room and a well-resourced workbench. The shelfs on the walls were stocked with foods and all sorts of other stuff like ropes, pots and fertilizer. I could only catch a glimpse at the downstairs as Caleb ran up to the first floor where the bathroom was, but what I saw surprised me. I had expected to find myself in a small shady shed, but Caleb's house was far from both. In fact, it looked cozy, peaceful and inviting. The house was furnished in a rural style with a lot of antiques. The ceiling was made out of wood, so were parts of the walls. While I preferred a rather modern interior, I could see how this rural style could appeal to people.