Chapter Nineteen

Chapter nineteen

The incoming call with Jaanvi's name flashed
on his screen and he picked it up instantly. Before he could get a word out, she was already rambling. "I don't know how you got my number or who forced you to have it, but you certainly don't get to interfere in my life out of nowhere. Stop trying to act like you care too much or wait even a little about me because we both know you can't stand my presence and that you hate me. There is no one you have to pretend in front of and clearly not in front of me because I know the truth. Don't I?" She was livid.

Ayaansh felt tongue-tied because it was the first time he had heard her speak so much or maybe it was always him being angry and speaking dumb shit to her. Now, it was her turn. He knows he has given her no reason to believe otherwise with how he behaved in the past but right now, he did want to know what was going on that had her so annoyed at the dining.

"Speak or else I'll hang up." She barked into the phone and he scrambled to find words. "No, wait, I, uh—I asked for your number from mom." He blurted out and immediately regretted it.

"Why? Why do you need it now? Is it because you want to blame me again in the future if something happens in your life?" Fuck, that was a low blow but he knew he deserved it. Of course he remembers what he had done that day and the way her face had paled right after always left a bitter taste in his mouth.

He was fucking immature and insensitive.

Breathing in, he replied, "No. I took it because I want it. Not because someone forced me to have it and not because I want to blame you for anything. I want it."

He was met with silence and wondered if she hung up listening to his dumb explanation. But then there was a sniff and he was alarmed. "Stop it, Ayaansh. Please stop this. I don't know what has happened that you are behaving like nothing was ever wrong between us and honestly I don't want to know. I can't forget how you treated me years back and I certainly can't forget that you blamed me for separating you from your family. It has ruined me enough. Please." Her voice was just a whisper in the end and he felt his heart clench painfully in his chest.

She hung up and all Ayaansh could do was stare blankly at the wall in front of him. He ruined her? Why did he want to pick up the phone and call her again to ask her what she meant by that?

Fuck, he wanted to apologise to her but knew a sorry is not going to cut it. The guilt he carried with him was heavy enough but this new feeling of despair that filled him was something which felt much more worse.

He still clearly remembered the memories of New York. The relief and happiness of getting rid of Jaanvi only lasted for a week because after that he felt miserable for not being able to see his mom, his Kia and his grumpy dad. He was homesick. He missed them terribly and felt like crying.

So he had called Sahil and told him that he wanted to come back, hoping he would book the tickets for his return. Instead his father gave him a stern warning, "You are not a kid anymore Ayaansh. Even if you didn't tell your mom, I was going to send you overseas for your studies. So if you want to cry and come back now then think about it because you won't get the same chance again."

He didn't like it. He didn't like it one bit.

But he decided to stay, unwillingly. The high school was a lot difficult for him because this time there was no Abir and Pranav. The kids that surrounded him were foreign (pun intended) and he really did try to blend in.