Chapter XXXIII

I'm holding a fucking bomb, our lives literally cradled in my arms liked a soothed babe

Surely I'm supposed to feel something, anything. Fear most probably, but instead I'm dead inside, feet bound to the ground but not through the paralysation of terror but something simpler. Something easier to contend with.

I need to drop this and run, yet as the numbers tick down, swiftly changing from 4 minutes to 3 minutes, I'm holding it tighter, recalling all the possibilities to save them.

As long as they're okay then...

Ajax snatches it from my hands, words being screamed at me viciously, but I don't register them. No sound vibrates to rebound off my eardrums, and for once, I feel like a detrimental idiot.

"Get Emmeline and get out."

I grip his arm before he can leave. "Where the fuck are you going?"

"To ditch this as far I can into the woods."

My eyes flicker to the bright red numbers. Two minutes to go. "When it gets to one, drop it and run. Don't stop, don't look back, just run."

He nods feverishly, gripping my jaw to kiss me so fast, his lips act as a whisper and then they're gone.

I don't have time to process the likelihood of us making it out of here. My body moves on autodrive, sprinting back into the house, through the kitchen, shoes crunching on the broken glass.

"Emmeline!" I scream, bounding up the stairs.

The lock on her door clicks open and she peers through the small of the cracked door. I push it open, eyes glancing to the window.

30 seconds by my calculations. No fucking way to get back down and out in time.

"Grab the duvet."

She doesn't hesitate, throwing the thick material into my arms. "What's going on?" Terror spikes her voice. At least one of us is having a normal fucking reaction to this.

"There's a bomb. We have to jump." I wrap it around her tight, shoving the window open.

Luckily this room oversees the pool, but there are a few metres of patio that could claim our deaths if we miss the jump. "Close your eyes." She fucking hates heights, but she lets me move her back anyway, accepting that this is our only fate.

"Ajax?"

"He'll be there." Either we all make it out of this safely, or we meet in the afterlife.

Clutching her hand tight, we sprint forward, legs lunging as we jump off the ledge. Her scream splinters my heart, ceasing when the bomb goes off. The explosion throws us forward, destroying the house as our bodies hit the water hard

All I can hear is the roar of the wind, mixed with the rush of cool water that submerges us. Scraps of fire rain down onto the pool, fizzing out as the water douses them.