Chapter XVII

Balls were something I always despised

I know, I know, but balls are supposed to be the best part of being a Princess. They're glamorous, and fun and magical, yet ever since I set foot into my first ball at age seven, I have always hated them.

The only thing that has ever made them feel tolerable was a sulky boy way too big for his age, and a slimmer one who always made sure to bring a book to such tedious events.

They were my escape but this ball was held in honour of me, and I already had a date that was neither of the men I let fuck me with their tongues until I saw stars, last night.

"How about green?" Opehlia holds up a lime green gown that causes my face to crease slightly.

"I don't think green is my colour."

She throws it aside, digging through her pile of dresses again. I suck in a breath, my corset digging into my ribs. "Hey Ophelia, is this corset a little tighter than usual?"

"That's standard Thalnia corsets, our women are typically slimmer waisted so the corsets have to be tighter to accentuate the figure." Damn. I thought I was pretty slim, but these girls must be something else.

"The bust is very..." I motion with my hands the way they squeeze my breasts to the point of exhaustion.

"But they look good, right?" Opehlia admires my boobs, in a way that would seem creepy if she hadn't already seen me in the nude.

"I guess," This time she pulls out a satin dress, a darker green, almost the shade of evergreen trees. My expression doesn't immediately drop at the colour, a good sign.

Lifting my arms, she drapes it overhead, allowing the material to billow out across the floor. "Woah." I looked...older, almost unrecognisable.

It's only been a few weeks away from Dahlia, but slowly I could feel my old self fading. The last parts clinging to Damien and Ajax, but Theo was crafting the new.

I had done so many new things, explored hobbies I never knew existed for me, like surfing, chess, even croquet which I had quickly mastered. Theo liked all those things, and slowly I was becoming his perfect match.

"It's the one!" She squeals, reminding quickly that she's still just a child. This is all dress up for her that I admire thoroughly. Watching her face light up as I allow her to place my tiara on top of the nestled crown she created with my hair.

Normally, I feel ridiculous going to these events. The old me would comment on the fact I look like a tree, my brunette locks deeply constructing the emerald green, yet behold, I have no insecurities to proclaim, instead I can safely say I look quite beautiful.

"Are you going to kiss him?" I almost choke to the point that she's hastily thrusting a glass of water in my direction. "Sorry,"

Shaking my head, I greedily gulp the cool liquid down. "No, it's fine. It just took me by surprise, that's all."