Chapter XXII

It's been more than a week since Ajax and Damien finally submitted to my desires, and I'm still sore

Seriously, it hurts to sit down but the aching sensation always makes me smile. A reminder that the life I'm living isn't just a dream but reality.

It's become our dirty little secret. The fleeting gazes they give me, the salacious smiles. It's just us. Us in our own little bubble that no-one else can encroach on.

Well, until now.

My fiancé is coming here. Apparently word of the assassination attempt got around and it would look strange if the doting fiancé didn't fly halfway around the world to comfort me.

So Theo is coming, and I've spent the past weeks almost forgetting that I had a fiancé to marry in approximately six months.

He's also meeting my parents, but the weird part is that I know they'll love him. He is the perfect man for any Princess, and I guess that's why I feel so guilty.

I never have done before. Our relationship was the best part of my life and yet with Theo it feels like this huge part of myself is just shoved aside every time I'm with him.

Something I'm not looking forward to dealing with tomorrow morning.

"Do you think Theo will mind if there are press to greet him?" My mum is a people pleaser, something I deeply inherited from her.

Laughing softly, I cross my room to hang my dress for tomorrow. A light chiffon dress that will be plastered all over the tabloids by noon tomorrow. Everything has already been set out for tomorrow.

A picnic on the cliffs off the edge of the coast, the perfect date for all eyes of the Kingdom to see. It'll be aired in Thalnia too, the first connection between our Kingdoms that ties them together.

"I don't think he'll care, mum. In fact, maybe he'll prefer a private reception."

"Chloe has told me he is quite charming, handsome too. Sounds..."

"Perfect." She frowns at the contempt in my voice. I try to shake out of it, plastering on a fake smile. "He's a really nice guy, you'll like him and I think dad will too. He loves art."

"Really? Maybe it would be a good idea to take him to the gallery in Kalmia? Just the two of you."

After our last private moment ended up with the two of us soaked in the fountain, my breasts bared to him, as electricity crackled between us almost causing me to fall into a kiss I was in no way prepared for.

"Mum, this isn't real. It's not a fairytale when I'm being forced into marrying someone by a group of middle aged men."

Oh fuck. She's crying. I hate seeing my parents cry. They're the people that raised me, strongest people I know and when they cry, I'm reminded by how human they are. How vulnerable they can be.