Chapter XXIII

Theo offers me his hand, staring at me expectedly

Theo offers me his hand, staring at me expectedly. "Would you rather fall?"

Yes there was a large root blocking the path that required a small step over, and my heels were not equipped for the amount of walking he was walking us do. Sighing, I take it, letting the heat of his skin warm my freezing cold hand.

"Thank you," I drop it as soon as I'm over.

"Pray tell, why are you making me walk this far."

He shrugs, much to my annoyance, which just seems to make his smile grow. "I enjoy the outdoors more than being cooped up inside for so long and it feels more private this way."

I cast a dubious look back at the three guards trailing us. I guess they're not too close that they can hear our conversation, but still it's not private.

"Besides, I thought you enjoy being outside."

"I do, when it's not freezing cold and the sun is out. Seriously, this is depressing." Even Theo couldn't deny that the grey clouds that loomed above us were preparing for some serious downpour.

"I quite like a gloomy walk in the cold, reminds me I'm still human."

"You need reminding of that?"

He puts out his hand to grip my arm, forcing us to a stop. "You have seriously never felt the need to face reality. To ground yourself. We're monarchs, the closest thing people in this world believe they have to God, and yeah, it might sound egotistical but sometimes I forget I'm just a man. Ordinary breathing man."

My heart stills a little, knowing the exact feeling he's talking about and how human I felt with a knife against my throat.

"I'm sorry, I should have been more sensitive about..."

"No, I'm fine. Really."

"Emmeline, you were almost murdered, don't bullshit me and pretend to be fine." He angles away from me to look back at the guards. "We'll be in the gazebo."

We will? Okay.

He tugs me by the arm towards the ivory covered gazebo, probably the most dilapidated part of the estate.

"You know, I don't think I have ever heard you swear before."

A deep laugh vibrates out of his chest. "Oh yeah? I guess you don't know me very well then."

I sit on one side, and surprisingly he sits on the other, facing me, rather than next to me. "And let me guess, you want to change that."

"Emmeline, we're supposed to be getting married and I know neither of us wish that but it's inevitable. I don't want a life shackled to a stranger which is what you are right now to me. I need something back, not just curt answers and hesitation to hold my fucking hand for a second. I'm not a bad guy."