Chapter XX

"Push, come one!" One of them collapses, beginning to cry about a broken arm

"Push, come one!" One of them collapses, beginning to cry about a broken arm. Most likely a sprain if anything. "Seriously, I was away for a few fucking weeks and this is the state of you all."

Normally I wouldn't be this harsh, emanating from my own father, but they were all slacking and a few disrespectful comments managed to reach my ears, questioning my own authority which meant I had to enforce it.

"Keep going. We're not stopping until they've all been moved."

Barrel duty was a pain in my ass. The complaints it incites were like gravel over my skin, but I have also experienced the same pain they do.

My father made me go through the same training as any soldier or guard. I suffered like they did, put in the work they did, and now I'm the strongest warrior in Dahlia.

A fighter to rival my own father.

Lifting two barrels, one over each shoulder, I heave them into the truck. "I don't understand why we have to do this." I hear Scott murmur under his breath.

It earns a few sniggers, maybe yesterday I would have even let it go but with every new day that encroaches, the timer on my relationship decreases.

And that causes the fury inside of me to boil. The only outlet being training.

My glare pins him frozen.

"This is milk that will feed your families, your homes, your kingdom. Milk that will be used in the sectors by those who cannot afford the luxury feasts that we have. Being a soldier doesn't mean forever wielding a sword, but helping people. Saving them in ways you wouldn't expect. Our duty is to help Dahlia, in whatever way possible."

In the distance, I make out one of my primary guards running towards us. Panic flares across his face, something clutched desperately in his hands.

I whistle, "Run five laps." They drop the barrels in relief and turn towards the track. "Not Jared, Ollie, Carter or Ben. You four stay here."

I ignore the quizzical look they share, jogging to meet him half-way. "Harrison, what is it?"

"Sir-" He heaves for breath, used to the inactive ways of palace guarding. "One of the maids, she found this hidden in the air vent in Wren's room."

"The new guard?" I take the small pouch, pouring the gold pieces into my palm. "Holy fuck,"

"And this," The note is creased and worn at the edges, clearly stashed for a few weeks at least. Unfolding the delicate paper, my eyes gloss over the scrawled writing.

I want it done by the end of the month. If she's still breathing, the gold is off the table and your sister will become the deceased instead.

Instantly panic sets in, knowing that in the Palace, a threat like this would only ever be targeted to Emmeline, especially since her engagement. "Where's the Princess?"