Chapter XXVI

"Are you feeling better sweetheart?" My mum places her hand on my forehead for the thousandth time

"Are you feeling better sweetheart?" My mum places her hand on my forehead for the thousandth time. I'm warm but for reasons other than a sickness bug.

Since the...breakup, I've isolated myself inside my room. Solitary and confined from the outside world but mostly from them.

I couldn't even imagine what I would do if I bumped into one of them. I guess it's inevitable really, I can't hide from forever, but I want to prolong it for as long as possible.

"Arabella, she's not five anymore." My dad moves his bishop, taking another one of my pawns.

Unfortunately for him, I was taught by Damien. My next move takes out his Queen. "What how?"

I stifle a half laugh, leaning back against the bed. "Theo, was wondering if you would go for a walk with him? If you're feeling up to it?"

"He did?" I can't even imagine what he would say, how awkward that shit would be. "I don't really know if I feel..."

"Did something happen with him?" My dad suddenly bursts out.

"What? No?"

"Are you sure? You know you can tell us anything, if he tried to...I know that sometimes men in authority, especially when they're betrothed to someone, can feel like they are owed certain things. Things that they are in now way obliged to have but..."

"Dad no. He didn't do anything like that to me. I promise, I would have told you if he did."

"Okay, good. I mean it's good you know you can tell us anything, because you can."

My mum squeezes my hand. "Then what is it Emmeline? I know you're not really sick, but your eyes, they're always puffy and red and your voice is hoarse as if you've been...crying."

"I had a fight." Okay, how do I spin this now? "Okay so me and Ajax and Damien, we all had a fight. I told them I'm going to move to Thalnia when I marry, and it's best if they stay here."

"Move to Thalnia?" My dad echoes.

My mum gives him a pointed look. "Hardin, what did you think would happen? Thalnia is the bigger kingdom, and it makes sense for her to want to move with her husband."

"Why can't he move here?" He growls. I offer him a smile, and he takes the bait, settling into the idea.

"I'll visit dad, all the time but if this is going to work, I know I just need a fresh start from everything."

"Did something else happen with them?" God I want to tell them both so badly. To spill the secrets that have been buried deep for so long, empty the contents of my soul to them.

"I guess they don't really like Theo. They think I should fight more to be free of this, to have a choice. They mean well, they always do, but there isn't a way out of this that doesn't hurt everybody else. Right?"