The Mind of the Unwell

(POINT OF VIEW: SPAMTON)

You stare at the dog man sitting across from you, the warm mug of hot chocolate between your small hands. You look around the room, your blurry vision making it difficult to discern what anything is, but you can only assume this is a kitchen.

Your skin still feels frigid from being outside, but the oversized coat around you feels warm and comfortable.

Sweat condensates on your forehead from anxiety as you stare at the man who's taken you from the trash zone. Why does he care about you?? What does he want?? If he wants money, you sure as fuck don't have it.

Maybe he's a murderer or something, or some kind of sadist. You squint slightly to try and get a better look at him, but alas, you can't focus your vision.

"...DO YOU [[want]] SOMETHING FROM ME??" You ask, raising an eyebrow. "Not really. I guess just
like... don't stab me, and we're chill." The man states with a shrug. "...THAT'S ALL!? THAT CAN"T BE IT!! SURELY YOU WANT A [[deal]] OF SOME KIND!!!" You say, standing up quickly.

An idea comes to your mind...

"Maybe I can con this shmuck into buying something! He seems gullible..."

A large smile spreads across your face. "IN FACT, I CAN OFFER YOU [[the deal of a lifetime]]!!!" You say with an impulsive giggle. "...Huh??" He looks confused. "I"M A SALESMAN, I MAKE [[deals]], IT"S WHAT I DO!!" Your laughter becomes more apparent and hard to hold back.

You burst out cackling,
but quickly stifle it. "EHEAEHAEHAEHAEAHEAHE-
...
I CAN OFFER YOU SOMETHING [[too good to be true]], LIGHT>ner.... THE [[deal of a lifetime]]!!"
You put your hands together and get closer. The man doesn't budge an inch. He just stares at you.

"... Oh, are you trying to sell something??" He asks outright. "YES!! AND IT"S THE BEST BARGAIN YOU"LL [[never see again]]!!!!" You giggle to yourself again, "Hook, line, and sinker!!" You think to yourself, your hands trembling slightly.

"... Do you still sell cars, or is that over?" He asks.

You stop dead in your tracks

How does he know about that??

You're barely recognizable after everything that's happened. How does he know!? who is he?? What the fuck is he on about?!?

The smile drops from your face, "...HOW... DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THAT...? HOW DO YOU... [[remember]] OR [[recognition software]] ME!!?" You back away a bit.

"I was your coworker, 1997, ey? Good year." He states with a chuckle.

You stand expressionless, your hands limp at your sides, your mind racing.
"........1997..." You mutter to yourself.
The year your sales peaked, the year before it all came crashing down, the year you were able to live comfortably for once in your rapidly shrinking, ant sized life.

You sit, your mind racing. "Did I really know him? Is my memory... really that bad? What if I forget who I am? What if I forget what's happened?? What if I just... fade away. I'm gonna die alone and confused, aren't I!? OH LIGHT - "

You are snapped out of your trance by a gentle tap on your glasses. You scream and stumble back. The man holds up his hands. "Woah hey! Easy there! I ain't gonna hurt ya!" He says with a nervous laugh. "Your glasses looked all funny, and you weren't responding when I spoke to ya." He says calmly, sitting on the floor in front of you.

"... OH." You say, forcing a nervous, glitchy laugh as you unknowingly tap your thigh. "I asked ya if you still went by 'Spamton', same name still?" He asks. "THE ONE AND ONLY SPAM-" your head twitches to the left involuntarily. "SPAMTON G SPAMTON!! EHAEHAEHAEAHE" You cackle after speaking, your mind now blank of the previous thoughts.

"Nice, name's Ili. Ili Shepard" The man speaks, grinning at you.
"PLEASURE DOING BUSSINESS WITH YOU!!" You enthusiastically grab his hand and shake it. He doesn't flinch away or seem startled.

"You're a funny little guy, huh?" Ili says with a chuckle. You pause, focusing on one part of the sentence. "You're a funny little guy, huh?"
Your face goes a bit red in anger as you blurt out. "I"M NOT LITTLE!!" You stomp your foot involuntarily like an angry rabbit.

Ili remains straight faced, not affected by your anger. "... Not what I was getting at, but aight." He says with a shrug. "So, you feelin' okay? You seemed a little erm... unhealthy back there." Ili asks, standing up from his spot on the floor in front of you.

You feel an aching emptiness within your stomach, but...
With how kind and calm Ili has been in response to your behavior compared to most, you suddenly feel bad asking for anything.

"....W3LL UM..." You pause, looking for words. "... Are you hungry?" He asks.

"..."

"YEAH."