Chapter 24- Meeting The Parents

Pihu's POV:

I look at Dev speechlessly. 

Parents? I knew I would meet Dev's parents one day but this was definitely not what I expected. 

Trying to break the awkward tension, I begin to introduce myself. "Oh, welcome I am-" Before I can finish, Dev grabs his Dad by the forearm and drags him inside. His mom worryingly follows and so do I.

I don't know if I should be interfering in this but I am about to be Dev's wife and my fiance's business is MY business. 

"Ap yaha kya kar rahe ho?" Dev questions his parents. (What are you doing here?)

"Beta..." Dev's father tries to answer looking at his wife. (Son..)

"Dev, hum tumhare sagai mein aye hai." Ms. Kapoor finishes for her husband. ( We are here for your engagement)

Dev turns a shade of red I've never seen. I don't know what has made him so angry but I am sure it's valid. 

I go over next to him and put my hand on his arm. 

"Meri... sagai? Aap hote koun hai meri sagai mein ane wale?" Dev confronts his parents. (My engagement? Who are you to come to my engagement?)

Both parents exchange glances at each other. I look at Dev in confusion. 

Ms. Kapoor smiles and walks up to Dev. "Beta, yeh baate baad mein karte hai, bahu ke samne nahi." She strokes his chest. (Son, let's talk later. Not in front of her.)

Dev backs away from his mother and scoffs. He takes my hand in his and holds it up. " Woh meri fiance hai, use saab jaane ka haq hai. Aap logo ka yaha koi kaam nahi." (She is my fiance, she has the right to know everything. You have no business being here)

I look on at the conversation in shock. I can't believe Dev is talking to his parents in such a way. In order to not escalate the argument, I try to intervene. "Dev, it's okay..." I'm unsure what else to say. 

Dev turns his gaze to me and behind all the anger I see hurt and pain. It makes my heart tear and I grip onto his hand tighter. 

"Dekha beta, woh hume aapne bete ki sagai se dur nahi karegi." Mr. Kapoor breaks Dev's graze. (See son, she won't keep us away from our son's engagement.)

"Please, konse bete ki baat kar rahe ho aap?" Dev asks. (What son are you talking about?)

"Dev..tumahri...beta" Ms. Kapoor tries to explain. (Son, you.)

"Mein?" Dev scoffs. "Oh please! Aapne toh kaha tha na ke aapka koi beta nahi." Tears form in his eyes. (You said you have no son.)

I look at Ms. and Mr. Kapoor in confusion, hoping they would explain themselves but both look down instead. 

"You know Pihu, when I got my first paycheck I went back home and wanted to show them. But you know what they did? They refused to open the door, saying they have no son." Dev chokes on the words as they leave his mouth. "I tried for years to go back home but they never opened the door and treated me like dogshit. Just because I followed my dreams." The tears Dev has probably held onto for years start spilling out. 

I reach over to wipe them off and Dev lets me. I have this feeling in me, I want to somehow take away all of Dev's pain.

The parents stand in their place in silence. Dev lets go of my hands and walks up to them as if today he finally has the strength to tell them the things he has wanted to say for years. 

"What did I do wrong? Why did I get treated that way? All I wanted was for you to support my passion. I loved acting, was it that hard for you to support me? You wanted me to kill my dreams and become a teacher like you and I couldn't. So I ran away. Was that my mistake? Just because I gave myself a chance after 19 years of agreeing to you and trying to convince you." Dev points his finger at his parents. I look on at Dev, whose tears flow nonstop and is up in his parents' face.