Chapter 18- Deal Over

Dev's POV:

I sit silently in the conference room waiting for Pihu to arrive. It's been a couple of days since she showed up at my door and crushed my heart. 

DJ is standing on the side preparing coffee for everyone while we wait for Pihu to come. 

"Some things never change. Like Priyanka never being here on time." Anisha jokes as we wait. 

I'm about to answer but there's a knock on the door. 

A girl walks and looks at us. I recognize her as Pihu's partner and best friend Shraddha. 

"Hello everyone, I am Sharddha Patel. I was sent here on Priyanka Kaur's behalf." She explains. 

"Ah." Anisha pauses to think. "Please sit." She says pointing to the chair.

I give Anisha a look. "Where is Pihu?" I ask turning to Shraddha. 

"She couldn't make it but wants this contract business resolved imminently. I am here as her proxy." 

"This contract is between me and her," I say. 

She pauses to think but Anisha cuts in. "That's completely alright, as long as you 2 have discussed this prior." 

The rest of the meeting continues but I can't focus. My mind races back and forth. 

How could that night be the last time I see Pihu? I was counting on having a proper closing with her today. Will I never get to say goodbye? Give her a final hug.

The meeting goes smoothly as both parties come to an agreement. 

Anisha is glad that my new film is doing well and she has no complaints about Pihu. 

"Pihu also has no problems as she just wants to get this over with and done" Shraddha says on her behalf. 

The contract is terminated and Shraddha gets up to leave. 

On her way out, she stops by me and extends her hand. "You know for such a douchey guy, you gave my friend some great memories." 

Confused about what she meant by that I shake her head and nod. "Thanks. DJ show her out please." 

Anisha, DJ, and Shraddha leave as I am left still lost in my thoughts. 

I look at my untouched coffee and reflect on how nothing seems the same anymore. 

Not without Pihu. 

I spend the next couple of hours in the meeting room aimlessly sitting and scrolling my Instagram. 

Without knocking, Vyom walks in busting the door open. 

"Yeh kya haal bana ke rakha hai?" He makes a disgusted face. (What have you done to yourself?)

I don't answer him and lay my head on the table. 

"Oyi toote huwe aashiq. Get a hold of yourself. It's not the end of the world." (Hey broken lover.)

"It feels like it. I thought there would be no end but now I am finally in the end and don't know what to do." I look straight at him and answer.

He looks at me with concern and sits down next to me. "I can't say I understand but I get it, you feel hurt right now. But you can't do this to yourself. When was the last time you ate or drank something?"

I shake my head and cover my eyes with my hands. "How can I even eat? I feel like shit. I feel empty."

"If you love her so much why don't you get her back?" Vyom puts his hand on my shoulder.

"How!? How can I get her back when she's cut everything off? She clearly said she wanted to end things. She said she was pretending and wanted to get married now. Married to a guy that for sure isn't me according to her. She didn't even come to the meeting today." The tears aren't being held back anymore and they flow freely down my cheek. 

Vyom hands me a tissue and some water. "Then be that guy. Be the guy that she doesn't have to pretend for and can get married to." 

"I thought I was that guy. But I'm not Vyom, maybe I don't deserve her." 

He slams his hand on the table. "Bullshit! I feel like beating you up right now. If you really loved her, you wouldn't be giving up right now."

"What am I supposed to do?" I ask clearly clueless about where he's heading with this.

"I don't know that, but I would start with taking a shower and shaving. Baba Ramdev lag raha hai." He gets up to the door. (You look like a monk.)

As we are leaving the office, the receptionist stops us. "Sir if you're leaving, why don't you take these containers with you?" She holds up a bag. 

"Containers?" I ask her. 

"Yes, it's Priyanka maam's.  That day you had the interview, she dropped off pakoras." She explains. 

I take the bag from her and sit silently in the car as Vyom drives me home. 

"What are you thinking?" He asks. 

"I'm wondering if Pihu heard me that day." I stare off trying to think back to last week. 

"What day?" Vyom asks. 

As I fill him in on the events of that day, everything starts making sense.

She probably heard me when I was lying to Anisha. 

My doubts about Pihu not liking me slowly fade and I'm saddened that she thought I didn't want her. All the things I lied about, she thought were true.  

I take a quick shower at home and drink some coffee. 

I'm determined now. Determined to prove to Pihu that everything we'd been through was not a lie and that I truly loved her. 

Even if she doesn't take me back, I want her to know how much I loved her. Despite the things she heard. 

Precap: Vyom visits Pihu's house.