Chapter 8- Butterflies

Dev's POV:

It's been a week since I met Pihu's parents. They seem like genuinely lovely people, every time I talk to Pihu they ask me if I want to come over for lunch or dinner. I miss this feeling.

Pihu and I haven't met much over the week.  I had DJ send her flowers on Tuesday so she could post them on her social media. He sent the wrong kind, but she made them work by adding a couple of things. Event planner things I guess.  

Yesterday, Vyom suggest we all go out for a picnic since we both had no plans over the weekend. When I asked Pihu if she wanted to come with us, she was initially reluctant but soon agreed after I suggested Nidha to come along too. 

"Do you have people plan all this for you or do you do it yourself?" Nidha asks her the 15th question since she's gotten here. 

"I do a lot of stuff on my own, but getting things ready for this picnic was all DJ." I say holding up the bottle of champagne DJ packed without glasses to drink it in. 

"Haa, khud ki galti, doosro per daldo." Pihu remarks to the side. (Yea blame others for your mistake.)

"Mein jab galti karta hoon na, tab sudhar bhi leta hu." I say smirkingly (When I make a mistake, I rectify it too.)

Pihu lightly nods her head. 

"So what do you do for a living?" Nidha moves on to Vyom with her questions.

"I don't do much kiddo." Vyom replies 

"Hey, no one is a kid here okay?" Nidha says annoyed

"Hmmm" Vyom hums as he gets up to go get ice from the shop. Nidha follows his trail. 

"Don't mind her, she's a little excited and hot-headed." Pihu says looking at the view in front of us. 

"Must run in the family." I smile.

"Excuse me? What does that even mean?"

"Just saying, you get overheated a lot too. It wouldn't hurt to take a chill pill and just relax once in a while. It's not like you're going to lose your company and reputation in one minute." I explain.

"You wouldn't get it. You've never had someone stop you from doing something you love." She shakes her head. 

"Who says I haven't?" 

By now we are both sitting very close to each other. The distance between us very short and our conversation very personal. 

"So you have had someone tell you to give up your dream because if you fail you'll bring shame to your parents?" She says her head hanging low. 

My forehead creases in compassion. 

"No, but not everybody supports their son when he wants to become an actor.." I stop talking. I have never told this part of my past to anybody except Vyom and Anisha. But something about Pihu... Something about this girl makes me want to spill out all my feeling to her. 

"Yea, it's not the prettiest words to hear." She looks down at her hands fidgeting with her phone.

"But..." I say putting my hand under her chin, and letting her gaze meet mine. "But, what people say should never stop you Pihu. You have the talent. You have the determination. Prove those people wrong."

I say the words to her that I wish someone had said to me. The support I wish I had. 

She looks at me tears forming in her eyes. There are flutters in my stomach. The butterflies are flickering in my stomach like little fireworks. 

"Dev-" Before she could say anything else, Nidha and Vyom return. 

"Di! Yaar tell this man to stop treating me like a kid." Nidha complains as soon as she sits down. 

Pihu scoots back, putting distance between us. "What happened Bacha?"

"We were at the shop and he asked me if I wanted a stuffed animal or stickers." Nidha whines scowling at Vyom.

Hearing how Vyom handled his "babysitting" duties makes us all roar with laughter. 

"Omg Di you're laughing? Bye!" Nidha says as she storms off.

"Wait Bacha!" Pihu barely manages to say between laughs.

As I watch Pihu get up and run behind Nidha, it takes everything in me not to hold her down and keep her with me. To just keep hearing her story and sweet voice. 

"Hey man, you okay?" Vyom puts his hand on my shoulder.

"Yea yea." I manage to respond because how do I explain?

How do I explain the warmth Pihu provides me?

How do I tell him how normal she makes me feel? 

How do show him the butterflies she gives me? Those damn butterflies. 

Precap: Pihu and Dev go to a ball. Things get sizzling. 🥵

I went back to single POVs. Lmk know how you liked it!

-💙